Saturday 4 June 2022

Orange cullotte shorts, #MMM22

The problem with May in England is one day its really warm the next freezing cold and raining. Today is warm.

The orange lycra velvet was sold me as fluorescent. It could be. Its certainly very bright. I have not worn these under UV light though so cannot know for certain. Its a good quality stretch dancewear grade from a random seller online. I should have bought more!



 

The pattern is the Rebecca Page cullottes which I used a while ago at Christmas. Theres also a me made mask in the below picture. I am so glad they have gone now. Or at least we only need to wear them in health places like doctors, hospitals etc.

 

I still enjoy wearing them even though we are now well into spring and they have glitter in them! I actually cut these orange ones out back in November/ December but then they never got sewn up. I decided they were too bright and too short for Christmas. I kind of feel there should be a length between the very short and the very long ones in the pattern. These are good for summer though.

 

And they have pockets! Though thats the hardest part to sew. No idea why because usually I do not have problems with pockets but both this pair and the Christmas longer pair I had the same issues, so I think its to do with the curve angle on them. As in my overlocker does not like that particular angle round the pocket for some reason. I ended up reinforcing the pockets with a normal zigzag. You cannot see it and at least I know they will not fall appart.


I like these though. Love them. I have loved cullottes since my teens. I mean they look like skirts but have the practicallity of shorts. And this pair really do mimic skirts.

And very easy to sew. The waist band/ basque has no elastic and relys on the shaping to keep them up. It works perfectly. So they are extremely comfy and could be loungewear as well. Though I do want to wear these in the sun on weekends.

I suppose I could argue the original black cullottes kind of fit into my current faery theme though -being glittery. The orange shorts will as well, but more summer faery than spring faery I think, and a bit more leaning towards sport. Still versatility is good.

I like these despite maybe they are shorter than I expected. But they should make a nice change from my usual combat style shorts that I have been wearing for about 20 years, or cut off jeans which I have probably worn closer to 50 years!

So these will be good for me. A bit more dressed up than my usual shorts look but I think they will be nice and soft for summer because the fabric is really lovely and very soft and should be comfy too, so I suppose these would also have worked with my winter loungewear collection, which in fact was when they were cut out, but then it just was not the right weather for them. The next few months these should come into their own and I actually feel slightly ahead of the game with these - for once!

I have some white velvet so I may just make a top to go with them. Not sure of a pattern yet though................

Ah and they are worn here with a Noelle bra top which I really made as underwear but then it is lined and its a warm day today. And its camo!

See you tomorrow

Bracken


No comments:

Post a Comment