Friday 27 October 2017

Three into One Patchwork Hoody - Stash Smashing


I am still on a stash smashing trail but in a slightly different way this week.


My other half has been collecting lots of jumpers that he does not really like and never wears. All were presents over the last 6 years or so and all were taking up room in his wardrobe and all were unworn and brand new. He just did not like them. So he was going to send them all to the charity shop but I decided to intercept and make a new top for him. Its inspired by the lovely Nepalese tops you see at festivals but is made from a mix of dark grey/black marl chainstore boring jumpers of various fibre mixes but all quite thick and warm.


For this I used 3 jumpers all from chainstores/supermarkets and all having either a full zip or a half zip up the front which he did not like. They were all a bit "old man". Whilst cutting out the top I had to make it patchwork because it turns out that although every jumper was actually too big for him they were all more fitted than the pattern I used.

I used New Look 6142 for this but instead of making a zip front jacket style hoody like the pattern, I made an over head hoody instead. It took some working out and I ended up making each half of each front and then sewing the two halves together. The same for the back because the jumpers were different textures so I needed to try and get some sort of balance to the design.  I used the longest sleeves off just one jumper so the sleeves are not patchwork and the hood is made from a fishermans rib type of texture so is just the one fabric.


I overlocked everything on the right side to give it a crafty Nepalese look and it is actually reversible really but I intended for the overlocking to be shown. I have seen some similar stuff on Pinterest as well as at festivals and had something like this in mind for a while now although I was not thinking of my other half. I think it worked out very well although I wonder how long it will actually last. It does not really matter because these jumpers would have been sent to the charity and although 3 became one I think at least it is wearable for weekends and doggy walking and slobbing around so now the jumpers are going to be used and keep my partner warm when otherwise they would have just been wasted which is a shame.

It was great fun to make this. I am not too sure how often he will wear this because he does not buy festival style clothing normally so its a bit unusual for him but it is still closer to his style than the starting material was and he says he likes it. Either way its an improvement on the unworn old men jumpers he had in his wardrobe for the last few years. I very much enjoyed this make. It was a challenge getting the top out of those three jumpers. Three into one sounds like lots but it stretched me making this.

Thanks for reading
Bracken

No comments:

Post a Comment