Sunday 24 December 2017

Egg Coat completed Burda Style pattern / 09/2016 #117

 

Another completed UFO. This was part of my challenge with Juxnz to finish a coat or jacket for amnesty day which was 30th November. Well Juxnz won that hands down but I have finally finished one of my UFO coats.

This is Burda 09/2016 style 117 made from quilted upholstery fabric with the collar and pockets in offcuts of faux leather in navy. I previously made this skirt,
http://brackencrafts.blogspot.co.uk/2017/07/birthday-skirt.html
this dress,
http://brackencrafts.blogspot.co.uk/2017/12/teach-me-fashion-layer-dress.html


Well what can I say this was a massive learning curve for me since I had never made welt pockets.


I ended up recutting the right front 3 times due to my destruction when making the welt pockets so my advice if you have never done these do a mock up first. I started off with 4.5m of this fabric so luckilly was able to simply cut a new front (twice!) but under normal circumstances this might have been a very expensive disaster. As it is becaues I had lots of fabric it eventually worked.

First welt pocket

Second attempt

Final version works


I tacked the zip in and hand sewed the sleeve linings in place



Then I used a salvedged zip from an old gazebo because its the only zip I had that was long enough and I do not have spare money right now. I cut this off shorter in fact after inserting and hid the ends inside the collar band.

I had a few problems with the zip as well due to believing it will all be ok and I even tacked it in but forgot to check before sewing that everything lined up OK.



When I first put in the zip I did one side, tacked and then sewed and then did the other but then when I did it up it was askew as you can see here. I undid and re-sewed and shortened the hem slightly to match the first side. This means the lining is slightly out inside but I am not too worried about that. The lining is cheap (99p for 2m) polyester knit. I thought it would add warmth but its a bad idea because after I sewed it in place I found runs where it was coming unknitted so I ended up using clear nail varnish to fix the runs and stop them getting worse. Not ideal but will do for now. I will probably either re-line or add a second lining on top at some point. For now though I just want to wear this.



Happy Christmas to everyone and heres hoping next year we may have a more peaceful world.

Thanks for visiting
Bracken


2 comments:

  1. I love how you used the print to create interest in the front of the coat (the perpendicular flow to each side) and the pop of color with the welts and color!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. To be perfectly honest the changing direction of the fabric design was the idea of my other half when I first cut this out. He was right as well because it does add something. The pop of colour from the welts was really a lucky accident. It sort of "goes" and I had some offcuts left over from my other projects. It was a very happy accident.

    ReplyDelete