Sunday 14 January 2018

First project of 2018- dark green faux leather skirt with godet effect


In the end I decided to start off my winter /spring working wardrobe project with this skirt that I wrote about last week.Screen Shot 2017-08-18 at 10.56.01 AM
https://doctortdesigns.files.wordpress.com/2017/08/screen-shot-2017-08-18-at-10-55-55-am.png?w=410&h=&zoom=2 I had already decided to use my faux leather for this and have also cut out a peplum jacket from Burda Easy winter 2017. I decided to buy this magazine despite it being in German and unavailable in English or even in the UK other than off ebay.

I bought it froma German seller. I read about it on DrT;s blog. I tend to read DrT because she gives great reviews of patterns and especially of Burda magazines. You can read about this magazine here:
https://doctortdesigns.com/2017/08/21/burda-easy-fallwinter-2017/

I tend to hate everything DrT likes and like everything she hates, but it does not matter because either way the reviews are very good. DrT gives a really good review of the next Burda magazine as well as udates on new patterns from the big 4. Its also as always nice to see what other people are making.

This Simplicity skirt ( left) from 8020 comes in two lengths but being as it is the middle of winter here I made the longer length.I  am not so sure about wearing this skirt though for work now I have made it despite that originally being my intention. I am trying to "cool it" at work at least until I get a permanent job and this may not tick the right boxes with my boss. Maybe green leather is not really very correct for work. I have yet to decide.




 Its got a high low hemline which I love. I always have liked this look.


My other half hates it! He says it looks too middleaged and frumpy.

I think the faux leather hopefully stops it being too frumpy. And I do want to wera this for work.

I will probably make a second version with the shorter skirt length. Personally I have always liked the wiggle-skirt look. But thenmen do not usually like the same looks as women so I am not too worried about his view.

Again this fabric is coated so like my previous projects with this faux leather I have not pressed out the creases but am going to wait for them to drop out which experience has shown me they will do. I really like this faux leather.
My fabric is a stretch woven but its very stretch and despite this pattern being for a knit skirt it does work well as I thought it would. Its previously worked for me with leggings as well as tops, a dress and a skirt.

http://brackencrafts.blogspot.co.uk/2017/12/teach-me-fashion-layer-dress.html

http://brackencrafts.blogspot.co.uk/2017/05/red-and-black-faux-leather-leggings.html

http://brackencrafts.blogspot.co.uk/2017/07/birthday-skirt.html 

http://brackencrafts.blogspot.co.uk/2016/03/24-red-lace-hoody-burdastyle-012016.html

Its cut out as one very weird shaped skirt pattern with one front, and two back / side pieces, but the godets are built in making it a bit wierd to look at and I have never made anything this shape before. It takes a lot of fabric really for what you get, but I so far at least quite like it. Its different to everything else in my wardrobe and once I finish the peplum jacket it could make a lovely suit. I also found it easy to sew and easy to adjust. I cut a size 12 but took both side seams in by about 1.5cm each but did not touch the back seam since by this point it fits and I do not want it any tighter having made it for a work skirt even if this des not get worn for work just now.
The adjustment did not seem to alter the overall shape so thats good because some patterns do not adjust well after you have sewed them up do they? You end up with wonky looking seams or panels out of balance. Well this was very easy to make.

In case you were wondering I am wearing the top made here:
http://brackencrafts.blogspot.co.uk/2016/03/25-comparing-free-raglan-sleeved-t.html

Its all overlocked except for the hem and waistband which are twin needle stiched and the waistband is elastic so very easy fit. I made a new (for me) type of waistband as well for this which I like very much. I overlocked the edge of the fabric first. Then twin needle sticthed the circle of elastic ( I already sewed into a circle before fixing to the top of the skirt) to the outside of the skirt edge then turned the whole thing over. Have to say it gives a very neat and profeccional finish which beats all my previous elastic waistbands. Very happy with this!


The hem stitching did not go so well! I started off great but ran out of the top second cotton ( hopefully you understand me) half way round so the front right hand side ( left when you look at me) I had to resew.

Not so good although I actually managed to oversew where I had already got one row of stitches whcih I am very proud of cos could not have done this a year ago with such accuracy so you cannot tell I have done it twice ( on the front) but then the cotton got all loopy on the back which I have cut off so it may have to redo if it all comes unstitched.

I redid the threading of the machine 3 times before I got it to work but in the end you cannot see it because its to the side of the front and not on the "low" bit so at least most people will never see it.

Anyway my verdict? I like it!


Thanks for popping over,
Bracken

No comments:

Post a Comment