Saturday 21 April 2018

Burda style Long Cardigan 10/2014 #102 - with tails!

This cardigan has been on my "possible makes" list for a few years. I bought the magazine with this pattern ages ago. It was one of my very first Burda Style magazines. I never realised though that it has tails! I definitely would have made this ages ago had I realised this. Mind you it might say easy but despite my magazine being the english version I still needed to use google translate to understand what was written on the pattern and to interpret what I needed to do. This was an origami cardi. I cannot describe it any other way.



As I made this I was so confused because you seem to sew the sleeves onto the wrong side of the front/back and they point towards each other inwards. But then as you follow the very strange directions you sew it up at opposite sides to give a strange tailcoat like cardigan.

I labelled the Burda diagram to help me.
See left for this.



I have been wearing this for work several days now and its lovely. Its like a shrug at the front and then you have these lovely tails at the back. Its really quite gothic. Brilliant. I have to make a few more. Have any of you made this?
I am so surprised how well it has turned out.

I love it.

Thanks for reading
Bracken










3 comments:

  1. OMG I'm SO glad I found your post about this! I was drawn this this especially because of one person on the Burdastyle website who turned this upside down and it's a totally different look. The pattern (instructions) I ordered doesn't have ANY labels *at all* - not even in German - so it's hard to say what is the CB/armholes/collar/etc. Thanks for sharing this! Yours turned out great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, That is interesting about turning this upside down. I will have to try and find that. Yes! I needed Google translate a lot to get this made but its really easy once you suss it out. Good luck and hope yours turns out too. I have found mine to be very wearable. Last winter I near enough lived in it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for posting about the jacket! It's hard to see the fit from the magazine photos. I've been thinking of handknitting the pieces for this jacket but it's a lot of knitting.

    ReplyDelete