Tuesday 21 April 2020

High Low skirt - self drafted


I cut this out 3 years ago as an A line skirt but did not like it, so took it to bits.

Then it went in and out of my stash every season it seems until last winter when I decided to cut it shorter and using the bottom of the skirt where it is wider to add pleats. I liked it better with pleats, but still could not decide what to do to finish it and it was not quite right so I stuck it back in the stash.



The fabric is very thick striped upholstery fabric - like the stuff found on bus or train seats - which I love but its so thick adding things like hems is very difficult and my machine simply will not sew this.

I added a normal lapped zip rather than an invisible due to the problems with sewing the very thick fabric. This went in quite easily maybe due to it being a  heavy weight chunky zip - the type generally used for jackets rather than skirts.


I have yet to decide whether to hand sew on a hook and eye. The zip seems to stay closed when its worn - I walked the dog in it today so that means it can stand up to moderate exercise and not come undone anyway.


Side view showing high low

Then I found my green crochet lace which has been hanging round for ages whilst making Micks T shirts ( you can read about them in previous posts) and decided to stick some on the hem. This will mean I can avoid a folded up thick hemline and I do not really want either a raw edge or overlocked edge showing so I need something to finish it off.


So then I was playing around with the green lace and it suddenly hit me this would work well with a high low hem so I went for it one evening and whilst wearing it added pins to check where to cut then I just chopped the bottom off. Yes risky but it was now a good length for work or play and I overlocked the edge and then added the lace with the fabric staying flat to avoid bulk. The lace is very unevenly pleated but it seems to work.

 To finish the waistband I used some scrap bits of black satin left over from this top.

I knew those bits would come in useful. I have a large bag of these satin bits. There is not a single bit big enough for anything other than trims but I have hung on to these ( yes even more rubbish in my stash!) and in this case it was the right thing to do. This proves it. I am still now keeping the rest of the satin bits just in case. They helped to make this skirt. I again left the skirt fabric flat and just bound the egde with the thin satin. I overlocked the inside edge of the strip so it minimised the thicknesses.



It reminds me of clothing from the early 2000s where it seemed everything was trimmed with random scraps or miss matched buttons or lace bits. Anyway I do like this skirt very much in the end and it was worth waiting for the inspiration to get this one right. I can see me wearing it a lot.
 

There's a kind of steampunk feel to this whilst still being suitable for everyday wear. A serious success I think for a couple of scraps of unwanted upholstery fabric.
And, far better than making the 2 bits of fabric I had into some boring cushions which was the obvious choice for this.



Well I am feel good right now because not only am I sewing new things, but I am finishing UFOs. And so far I am staying safe and well. And not getting too bored. Bonus!
 Stay safe
Bracken

No comments:

Post a Comment