Saturday 2 January 2021

Armoured

I have been making this for nearly 2 years and decided since the last series of Vikings is now on I really should get round to at least finishing it enough to wear it.

Rona
This is one of those silly things I just cannot help making. Just because I can.

And I am mad about the TV series Vikings and in particular Lagertha. I know shes not in the last series but still this does warrant me finishing it I think.

This project has been a real long term learning curve - in leather craft. I began this about a 2 years ago. Thats when it was just a vague idea. A conversation with a friend!
 
I made this from with a second hand purple leather skirt ( or in the end two leather skirts because as you can see later I made a serious error so had to adapt).

This just about cut up into the right sized bits tho I have had to join a few of them to make this work. The skirt cost 99p + postage from Ebay so not a great investment. It is leather but then viking armour was and I decided if doing this it should be at least vaguley correct. I had to wait quite a while watching Ebay to find something cheap enough to make it worth making this because I always thought it would end up being a disaster. It was just fun to try it.

The below was written as this went along so apologies if some is in the present tense.

Its taken me ages. Its far from expertly made or even pretty. Its basic unskilled leather work. I have not real idea what I am doing at all. I just wanted to have a go at this. First I used Pinterest to get an idea of how other people make this kind of garment.

 Vikings SourceLagertha from Vikings # viking Braids lagertha

Then I did a drawing of what I intend to try to make.


Work out measurements of Harriet vs me. Harriet is my vintage dress form. I do not use her often but she is invaluable for things like this. Then I used my The Vampires Wife inspired dress blocks to make a new pattern which I cut similar to the pictures of Lagertha's armour from, I think Season 2 (I need to check this so do not quote me on that one.). I mainly used the TVW blocks because I had never made any others so I keep using them as a starting point for anything it seems. Being vintage Harriet moves around a bit. Shes meant to be exactly my size! Heres hoping this works.

basic dress block
 
I traced my block and divided the basic block into two halves for front and back and draw lines for armour shape. Pinterest has many many pictures and loads of other people have given their versions which make this relatively easy to follow through. 



Divide armour into sections:

 Ignore my wiggly line that is a mistake. Find darts and draw down join lines of the sections.







Cut at approximately where you want your individual sections and then divide darts between these sections.


 I numbered the bits before cutting up and marked all sections carefully to ensure I do not get confused later .





 Then having got my individual sections I stuck them together on Harriet to see if this may actually work.

This was not easy and the tapes kept falling off as I stuck it all round the dress form.
Looking reasonably Lagertha like though!


Work out how best to cut up the skirt to get all the sections. This was an american size 8 skirt so no room to play here. I used just about every mm even the facings and waistband. The scraps left over were miniscule. I had to piece some bits together

 
Then I cut the tiny offcuts which included edges of seams etc to make thongs. I used a hammer and a leather tool that I do not have a clue what its called to make holes. Its a bit like a bradall which does a similar job in woodwork. This came as a kit from Aldi with rivets and studs but I cannot get them to work yet. I sewed the panels together. This is taking ages. I started in February and had to stop due to damaging my hand. I got a trigger thumb but its now had a cortizone injection so I am managing to complete this. I know not good, but needs must and whats the point if you cannot live your life. Though I really do think its due to the amount of hammering I did that caused the injury!



It went together slowly.This has taken months to sew up. I pierced each hole seperately ad matched a hole on the other panel so they sort of match up. Because of the type of lacing though each panel is mobile so moves next to the other.

 
Reverse of the front

In the start I was putting the numerous knots I need to join my small bits of thong together at the front because in real life these will be horrible and make the wearer sore in battle. Then my partner pointed out that I will not be living in this and it looks rubbish with all the knots on the right side so I altered it so they are all now hidden. Then I have just the one side panel to add and I get the brilliant idea to add rivets to the closure so it will wear better getting in and out of this. Not of course that I will be wearing this often or maybe not more than a couple of times but being me had to make it perfect.

Bad idea. I recked the panel. I have no spare fabric (leather). What to do to finish this?

I actually bought 2 skirts from ebay. I think the other one had been boiled or washed because its like cardboard. Normally I'd have returned on grounds its not as advertised because it does not even resemble the picture BUT for the price, for armour, it could be useful. Its almost hard. It was mean to have poppers down the front so I am then considering could this became 100 armour instead. I mean its definitely based on medieaval viking armour and its based on the TV series but I can adapt because its not like this is for a Viking re-enactment. I suspect this would not be good enough quality for that anyway. And this will solve the problem of getting in and out of my armour. So from Lagether this has now evolved into a 100 series costume. Not I suppose that dissimilar really but definitely not historical. Never mind I can do dystopia instead.

But having spent a few months doing this next adaptation I just did not like the end result so took it appart again. I have no photos of this unfortunately. So then what to do?

I cut another piece of the stiff leather and oiled it and left it a couple of months. I used massage oil in case you need to do this and it made the leather all supple again and it smells lovely! It sunk in completely and does not feel even slightly oily to the touch which was a surprise.

So then I cut a second piece that is identical to the original bit. By now the series 6 of Vikings is about to start and its 29th December 2020. So nearly 2 years I have been making this. I decided to get round to this at last and spent a day hammering and threading- take much longer than you would expect! and then I added overcast thongs around most of the edges though I have not quite finished this. I want photos now though while its still current so here they are and complete with braided hair too though I need a lesson on how to do that viking style really. I know there used to be some directions for braiding hair on the burdastyle.de website so may check that out.






Now I have to admit I intend to continue with this. Because I am so rubbish at applying the studs and rivets I have decided to make small strips of leather then add studs and rivets to them and if that works to sew by thonging down each strip of armour. Its a technique used alot in Vikings and will minimize my liklihood of ruining this.

So its not quite done with yet. Also interestingly we took the photos of this several hours ago and its very comfortable to wear since I still have this on. Its cold outside so I am going to take my dogs a walk now whilst wearing my armour.

Ah and the white top is another of my self drafted tops

It works very well with the armour.

Have a lovely day

Bracken

No comments:

Post a Comment