Friday 16 October 2020

Voodoo dolly dress - Knipmode

 

 
 
This dress is my first ever Knipmode make. Knipmode is Dutch and is very similar to Burda in that you trace the pattern.
 

I am much shorter than the Knipmode model it seems because this is meant to be considerably shorter.
 Never mind. Its very wearable this length. No way I will shorten it because I won't waste my fabric so its staying long which is probably better for winter anyway.
 
I use the long sleeves from the top which is actually the same pattern without the skirt parts.
The fabric is stretch lycra that I bought for leggings but decided it was not the right print or at least I would not see the design well if made into anything either small or with lots of seams so I spent ages looking at patterns to find something that would show the print well. In the end I decided on the Knipmode scater dress from this issue. Looking at these photos of my sleeves I may well have been wrong about this too because it looks like its still easy to see the large print even there.


Not knowing any Dutch was a real problem and I was not in the mood to spend ages typing into Google translate. I really need some, preferbly free, OCR software after this effort. I own spanisha nd itallian magazines too similar to this so I need to sort this out soon else will find making things difficult. Ether that or start learning more languages at night school.
This was far harder to make than I expected. 

I did the back twice so its a bit bodged really. Luckily the Knipmode pattern came out quite big so when I added a second back seam it still looks OK. I originally added the back neck opening but not understanding the directions made a mess of it. Or maybe that was nothing to do with the Dutch but just me. It just did not hang right.


 Either way I decided it is completely pointless having a back neck opening when it stretches this well so got rid of it.

hat made the dress hang properly. I also originally have a neck band. Like a Tshirt neck but when I removed the back openig I also dumped that. The basic round necked dress is far simpler but I like it better. I just wish I had not wasted so long making the back opening which I really struggled to get right.

In the end it was really not worth the effort of making the back neck opening which took ages to do but it was very much worth taking the extra time to alter it to a straight back. I really like it now and enjoyed wearig it.

Its the first time I have made a basic scater dress and I intend to make more of them though it must be in interesting fabric I think.

 

 I only wore it once so far but it got admired by TWO people neither of whom realised I made it myself. That makes me very happy!



So my first Knipmode is I think a big success. I have two Knipmodes so will have to try some other patters though I need to remeasure myself because this is a little big. I might try going down a size next time. Mind you then I might need an FBA!

Take care

Bracken

No comments:

Post a Comment