Saturday 21 October 2017

Fish tail skirt or high low skirt - Stash Smashing

I found this blog post a while ago now:
http://www.deliacreates.com/easy-diy-fishtail-circle-skirt-tutorial/

Its an adult version of skirts from other blogs. Well it is not really something I would normally wear but I have the fabric and why not. I will wear it if I own it because that's life but as with the multi-media T shirts

I would not shell out hard earned cash to buy one.

But as I am realising more and more when you make your own clothing YOU CAN HAVE IT ALL!

Yay!

So following the directions from Delia Creates I made this skirt using black powermesh. I originally followed the exact pattern but in the end I decided to chop a further 7 inches or about 18cm off the length because once made it was trailing on the floor. When I went back to the original blogpost yes it is there as well so it is not just me being too short.

Much as I like a skirt with a train it does not fit into my world. I already have two makes with trains here:
http://brackencrafts.blogspot.co.uk/2017/04/95-and-96-skirt-and-top-for-tms-bright.html

and here: http://brackencrafts.blogspot.co.uk/2017/02/85-simplicity-1772-dress.html

and I do not wear either of them often because of this.


Delia lives somewhere summery and hot and gets to take photos on the beach with her feet bare on the sand. I live in the UK where it is usually damp and often downright pouring with rain. Also you think its a nice day when you get dressed at 06:00 but by the time you get to work by 08:30 it can be the most horrible weather imaginable so no, skirts with trains do not work well in my world!

 

I am still undecided whether to do a rolled edge with the overlocker around the hem of this, but so far have resisted because actually I quite like the raw edge and it looks fine and very dancerish.

So for this as directed I used 2m of fabric. Mine was wider than Delia Creates used so there was more wasteage but I really could not make it any longer than the original and in the end as already explained I chopped the edge off after finishing. By the way best to do this before you make it really because the elastic gathers it in a bit and means you have to be extra careful if you do it at the end as I did.

The only difficult bit with this skirt is keeping the slippy fabric from moving when you are measuring for the waist and the skirt edge and of course you then must fold it to make it high-low but its still a very easy skirt pattern and I would say well worth making.

This skirt will also look good with the two tops made using this powermesh which you can see here:
http://brackencrafts.blogspot.co.uk/2016/12/74-quick-party-top.html

and here:

http://brackencrafts.blogspot.co.uk/2017/04/95-and-96-skirt-and-top-for-tms-bright.html

Thanks for reading and if this is your kind of skirt I would encourage you to make one. I am very impressed!
Bracken

No comments:

Post a Comment