Sunday 11 March 2018

Two tops and my latest stash building fabrics

I have not done much this week. I made a couple of tops.

The green is velvet - probably polyester. Its an OK quality but not luxury. Just your average polyester that has some two-way stretch but no lycra. You find oodles of RTW made of this stuff around Christmas time. I previously made a slip dress from this green velvet. 


The pink top is made from the bodycon 4-way stretch I used several times before for leggings and another top. You can use the reverse as a plain black as well as I did for my leggings.



These two tops were both originally made for work. This is Butterick 5562 View D which is the same pattern as the multi media tops
I have worn them for work earlier in the week but being nice basic Tshirts I am also starting to wear these for fun. I think they both work well with my blue combats. These were childrens/teen boys RTW that I bought in a sale ages ago and then dyed royal blue. They are pretty much worn out now but I do still wear them for things like dog walking. I need to make a replacement for these in fact but so far have not found suitable fabric at the right price.




Talking of fabrics Sue of a Colourful Canvas posted about how she has just ventured into online fabric shopping:
http://www.acolourfulcanvas.com/2018/03/avery-leggings-take-two-chat-online-fabric-shopping.html


I found this an interesting post because virtually all my fabrics are bought online. Most are cheap and bought in larger amounts since I tend to buy  job lots from Yvonne at Weston fabrics off Ebay
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Weston-Fabrics?_trksid=p2047675.l2563 

The green velvet I bid on two pieces. One was 4m and cost me 99p. The second cost me about £3 for 2m making the much cheaper piece the longer bit and this generally seems to be how it works. Then the pink bodycon fabric I again won two pieces. I do not remember the cost of this one since I bought it at the start of my stash building. It was pretty inexpensive though. 


 Yvonne also does a "Buy it Now" range and from experience these are the middle bits of the roll so tend to be better as in less creased/dusty etc. I often bid on several bits of fabric then I either pick up direct from Yvonne or get I posted to me which depends on if I can get time off work.


To be honest if there is an option to pick up, and I can do it, I go for it because my car is very cheap fuel wise and to my way of reasoning that gives me an extra one or two pieces of fabric because to post 10kg to me costs about £10. Sometimes I can pick up 8 lengths of fabric for £10 off this seller but that is down to luck. Fuel there and back costs me about £4 ( its a 40 mile round trip) so you can see how I am thinking here.  I will sometimes also add a full price piece from her Buy it Now range but even at full price they prices are good value.

For example I just bought 4m of jet black 4 way stretch dancewear type crushed velvet with lycra the other week for £12 which is not a bad price at all. Usually you would pay £6.99 plus postage for this even off Ebay. However I also won a 2.75m piece for £4.09 so it is often cheaper to go for the auctions but these can end up more expensive than just going Buy it Now in the first place.

I also recently ignored the Buy it Now price for a lovely 4m piece of 4 way stretch multicoloured burn out velvet which I would have loved and which the auction piece went to £24 so I should have bought the identical Buy it Now bit for £12 but someone else got there first. I was at work so could not follow the auction. Sad but I tell myself it was not meant to be. So it does not always work out.

Buying fabric this way you need to just go for it and not worry too much or obsess too much about what you want it for and how much you like it because its all a risk.  You may not win it. You have not felt the fabric and you may hate it tho even then you always find a use eventually believe me so you cannot really go wrong. I rarely buy tho knowing what I will do with it. The only time I know is when I buy full price from someone. I just buy when I have some spare money and decide later what to do with it.I also only buy a couple of times a year. Then I binge and get £60 worth of fabric.


This is my latest haul of fabrics from this seller costing me £78 including nearly £11 to post to me:
 

Here I have: 6.75m of the black velvet in 2 pieces - 4m at £12 (Buy it Now) and 2.75m at £4.09 (auction decsribed above).
3m of  4-way stretch and very nice sky blue animal print,
4m black chiffon £8 ( full price, Buy in Now bought before I won the auction just in case I didn't because I actually, unusually have a known use for this),
4m black chiffon £4.75 (auction),
4m burgundy ribbed £3 ( bought this before in dark green and purple and its great for tops, dresses and flared trousers although quite light weight). I missed out on the black but have spent out!
 2m Black and cream stretch £3.31 ( see a hoody for my man hereright in photo) and maybe a skirt/top,
3m black and white striped dancewear quality 4-way stretch £4,
6.75m green velour £10.77 ( got carried away with bidding aganst someone here so over spent. Good quality tho.),
2m black stretch faux leather £7 (full price Buy it Now. Bought loads of this in different colours a year or so ago but she has realised what it is now and put up her price. I got my green which is the same for 99p for 4m). There was some in the auction which went for less but I stayed safe and just bought this after losing the multicoloured burn out. I have only small bits left of my last two bits of black faux leather so its a good time to grab some and still a good price for 2m.


The surprise with this lot was the green velour which looked lime on the PC but is actually more emerald/ forest in real life so thats something to be aware of. I personally do not care but some people might. Though you can always resell on Ebay if you do not want it.This is a good stash building haul and I am now planning what to do with all this lovely fabric!


Yvonee has an unpredictable fabric selection since its all ends of rolls but there is some lovely stuff available. You do have to pick and choose but mostly I have had a very good experience from this Ebay seller.  There have been a couple of bits with faults ( she tells you on the description) although I have had one bit that was not labelled probably because it was difficult to see and she never realised but generally its fine for the price and because you get a big bit you can work round any marks or faults easily so long as you look first to check. So despite the fact I will end up bidding against you, I would recommend this seller on Ebay.

I also buy from a couple of other sellers but that tends to be full price - although I try to keep an eye open for when they get to the ends of their stock and the price suddenly drops which has happened a few times. I cannot list them all here but there is some good novely skull fabric from here:
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Ainsberry?_trksid=p2047675.l2563



Ebay is also very good for trimmings like lace and ribbon, elastic, zips and also for metal studs and steampunk type fastenings  I have bought loads of short 1m lengths of lace and ribbon from Chinese / Hong Kong / Korean companies off Ebay. These take ages to arrive but most of them do arrive. You need to keep an eye on what you ordered though in case it does not arrive and you need to let Ebay know to claim back your money by a certain number of days so this route has its problems. Mostly though its fine and you can get buttons this way too.A word of warning too, I got blagged more than once they were going to resend when something never arrived. Do not agree to this. Get your money back and reorder if you want because you run out of time to claim back the money and Ebay were great and still sorted it out but its hassle in that you have to ring up and explain and then in my case they sided with me but I have no idea if thats usual or anything so be careful. 

This lace trimmed  top tho was made from lace bought in 1m or 1 yard ( I cannot remember which) lengths for 99p each from Ebay Chinese companies and the cream fabric which is synthetic stretch but solid crepe stuff came from Weston Fabrics for £1.02 for 2m. I do not particularly like this fabric but it works in this top and I wear it loads for work with office type clothing.

While taking these pictures I met a sheep. Well she photobombed me!
 She was probably wondering what these weird humans were doing next to her field!




Very friendly creature.


 Oh and I upcycled this hat:
http://brackencrafts.blogspot.co.uk/2017/11/quick-pompom-hat-diy-update-for.html





So I would reccomend venturing into some Ebay buying. 

Maybe carefully at first but then you will get more confidence becase there is some great fabric and very low prices out there so long as you do not mind a precut piece in a set length.



So what do you reckon? Will you be trying Ebay fabric sellers?
Bracken 


























No comments:

Post a Comment