Monday 7 January 2019

Navy sailor style trousers


I bought the pattern for these trousers when it first came out so at least a year ago if not more. I bought the fabric as a remnant from ebay. It is a dark navy canvas of unknown fibre but I think contains some kind of synthetic mixed with cotton because it seems not too bad at creasing. The proper brass buttons are salvedged from an ancient 1988 coat which has now been recycled.

I actually took these up by another cm after taking these photos since I decided they are just a little too long and when measured against my other wide leg trousers that is the difference in length so I decided since I have been wearing these nearly every day for the last year or so that must be a OK length for me.
My previous wide legs
 I have yet to wear these to work which is what I made them for. They are a bit too boring for every day life but nice and upbeat as work wear. I can get away with them in an office! And I will feel better than if I wore something more ordinary. More interesting also than my previous basic wide leg trousers.

 
Unfortunately  the photos do not do these justice at all so I will be trying to get more and better pictures taken at some point soon to update this post. You cannot see how they are constructed. As you can see from the pattern envelope they wrap around from back to front giving a side panel impression but this is really all one back piece. 
Image result for burda 6573
 I am also not the best model!

These took a long time for me to finish because I cut them out in February 2017, sewed up in June 2017 and then got stuck at the waistband. I went back to them over Christmas only to find the waistband is really very easy. They do not at all go together like "normal" trouser patterns because you sew the inner seams before the side seams which threw me completely but really they are actually quite simple to make and I intend to make a second shorter pair using the other view of this pattern because I like them very much.

Its really a shame it took me so very long to sew them up because similar styles are suddenly in High Street shops and in fact I cut these out a year ago when they were more unusual. Still that should be a lesson learned!

If you want a pair of this style of trousers I would definitely reccommend using this pattern to make them.
Thanks for visiting my blog
Bracken

No comments:

Post a Comment