Saturday 30 May 2020

Madalynne free Sierra bra version one - Camo




This is my first attempt at the free Sierra bra which is a wrap top. This could easily be a cropped top as well as a bra. I love this. Its kind of warrior woman-ish and would be great for a younger woman than me in faux leather.As a top rather than a bra of course.

 



































Its not very well made but I have another 3 cut out ready to sew so hopefully by version 4, I will have achieved a decent bra top.

This is a bit weird because you only have one 27 inch long strap so its basically a halter. I spent ages - I mean hours - looking for my black pre-made straps only to realise, after I found them, I need to make my own. Well luckily I have some stretch black velvet bra strap material which is what I used her. It kind of contrasts but works.


I did all of this bra with a normal machine on zig zag. It works but I reckon I can do better.

 

Inside along side seam I zigzaged to enclose the seams.
Outside along side seam
Anyway other than I am rather fat right now, and have a muffin top which ruins the pictures,  I reckon this is a really nice bra which is going to add considerable comfort under my normal work clothing.

If only I was young enough to wear as a summer top!


 Fabric is odd bits left over from my camo trousers and lined with bright cornflower blue mesh which I have used for all sorts and still have meters left. Most recent was my Partly Sunny Frock. I used blue picot elastic because I had it available. I think it might be better with thicker elastic at the bottom edge.
 I used bikini fasteners because I could not find the correct size of pre-made bra fasteners ( hooks and eyes).So its all a bit of a bodge job. But it works and I like it so much I have cut out several more!



The bikini fasteners work so well I think I prefer them to the proper fasteners and I am intending to buy more of these. They are from Ebay and come in several colours.


I sincerely recommend this pattern.

I actually read the instructions after making this so made  a mistake. I stretched my elastic while sewing. It says not to stretch!

Unfortunately I also did this with version 2 which I will show once I have finished it off. I now need to make a third bra without stretching the elastic.I have two more cut out.

This does however still fit despite my mistake because I tried it out today. I also need to know if the catches stay done up else I cannot wear this to work etc. It all works fine. I wore it half a day so far and I am happy!
Bracken

No comments:

Post a Comment