Friday 1 May 2020

Stretch pencil trousers -model116 Burda Style 10/2012



I am currently sooooo glad to have a stash!

Thats fabric and patterns. I got all caught up in the trend for busting the stash at the end of last year. I know lots of bloggers go on and on about how its immoral to stash all this fabric. Everyone seems to make a massive deal about using the stash up. Well the current situation with being in lockdown is indeed not usual, but I am very, very, very happy I have lots of fabric and patterns stashed now.

Yes, I know I could buy PDFs anytime but could I also get ink to print them? My printer has run out of ink or at least it keeps tellling me the ink is low and needs replacing. I do not really want to waste the small amount I have left printing half a pattern and then not being able to make the garment because I have run out of ink, So far it still prints but its any time soon that it runs out. Can I get more ink? No, apparently everywhere has sold out of the cartridges I need. So yes, my stash is proving wonderful. I am so glad to have it.

Of course large though my stash was, its already getting much smaller. Thats yarn for knitting/ crochet as well as fabric. There are actually spaces on my shelves where there were none a few weeks back. Its not all made up yet but its getting washed, dried, ironed and cut into patterns and will soon be sewn. I will need to start replenishing my stash soon by the looks of things. Of course thats good.

I bought this Burda pattern for pencil trousers back in 2013. I bought the fabric in a sale last summer. Its a stretch cotton sateen and cost me £10 for 3m. I still have quite a bit left of this fabric.

I actually used the pattern before and hacked it to make these wide trousers.


I bought it because it was a basic pattern and at the time I did not have any patterns at all. I printed it the same day and then never made it up - or at least not into what its meant to be. I made the yellow trousers which I still own (though the pockets are not quite right on them!). I did not have the money then to buy a second trouser pattern and by the time I found some fabric I wanted wide Bowie style Pegs rather than narrow pencils so I had to have a go at making the pattern into what I needed. Its was reasonably successful bearing in mind my lack of instruction or previous experience and also my hap hazzard way of hacking without a ruler!

After using the pattern to make the yellow Bowie style peg trousers I stuck the original pattern back together accurately with tape and have used the same pattern, because as I said already I do not have ink to reprint right now.

The pattern seems very good despite being re-constructed.








I also used the facing from the Mood Jamesia pattern which I was using at the same time I cut these out because it fits and I seem to have lost the facing for these. It has worked anyway. I suppos if its the same size of trousers then the waist will be similar in size.

I suspect though I would have been better to make a smaller size of this pattern. I made according to my measurements but the trousers are a little loose. Though I am slim right now so may yet put my weight back on once I start to work again in which case they are best made in this size anyway. I would hate to out grow them before I even get to wear them outside the house. Lockdown is wonderful for giving me time to make but I have no where to wear anything and do not want to waste these doing the garden or decorating or similar.










 I did not even attempt to pattern match because this is very precious fabric. I need to get as much as possible out of the piece I bought. I know, it can be argued that the more precious the fabric, the better a garment should be, but to be fair if I bought these the pattern would not be matched and I actually do not really care. I have previously spent hours matching patterns and am not good at it. I also decided that it is often not really worth the effort. I prefer to make as many nice garments as I can from the pieces of fabric I can afford. For me thats better by far than buying high street boring clothing. Who is really going to notice the pattern matching ( or not!) on these?

 


These are the kind of trousers I treasured and wore to Raves and Festivals back in the 90s. I would have absolutely loved them then. I just need lockdown to end so I am able to wear them somewhere. I did walk the dog in them and was paranoid the whole time he would pull me over. Both dogs are very strong and I regularly fall over so get muddy knees. And there is always a risk of ripping my clothing of course as well. I am saving these now for after the lockdown.

Stay safe and well and enjoy your own stash busting and crafting while we all have time to do this
Bracken

No comments:

Post a Comment