Friday 30 July 2021

Track suit trousers

 

I have been making these slowly for a long time, probably since early April.

These are made using the Melissa Fayre " Make Your Own Activewear " book. I used  the loose fitting bottom block which I needed to lengthen by several inches. I had not made any of the bottoms patterns before and I thought they looked short but could not find a measurement for height so I actually measured the pattern against some existing clothing I have and it seemed short by about 3 inches. It could be there is a height measurement somewhere in the book but I wanted to get on with these and its been a while since I sat down and read the book through. Otherwise I pretty much followed the directions in the book. I am so happy I went ahead and lengthened the pattern though because otherwise I would have wasted this fabric.

Fabric was some I bought months ago from one or other internet company and was sold as fleece though its more "sheen suit" fabric with a shiny side and a fleece side. I sewed some of the seams with a twin needle to keep the stretch - ie where the zips needed to be added and the inside seams with the overlocker so the end result is not as tidy as I normally aim for - on the inside that is because from the outside they look fine. Not to worry. Nothing is going to fray and it does not look bad inside just not RTW if you understand me.
The zips I had already, which were bought as part of a multi pack from amazon, and they are slightly longer than the book calls for, but worked anyway and the mesh used for the ankles and the inside pockets is just some non-stretch mesh I bought in a Minerva sale. I have loads of colours of zips but used the pink since they are the least useful for "normal" fastening zips being as I rarely wear pink. 

Not that it looks that way from this outfit!

These took quite some time for me to make though. The ankles in partcular took a while - not because its difficult really but because I just needed to understand what was needed to achieve what I wanted to do.

 

 I originally intended to take these to Scotland with me. They would have been good for that because it was mostly cold and rainy weather but I think the velcro fastening on my waterproof jacket would have ruined the sheen fabric, so in a way its better to finish them and wear them somewhere else first. I went to Scotland end of May so you can see how much longer it has taken me to complete these!

They have also not just sat there - I have been doing something most weeks. They have some very fiddly bits that I needed to work out slowly - like pocket zips. 

Have you made this pattern and if yes how did you find it? 

I found it much more difficult than I expected but am interested to find out how other people have found this one and if there is something  might have done better. 

I am very pleased with the end result and intend to make some more similar ones. 

Also having zip pockets is really truly amazing! 

I have enough of the same fabric to make another pair but have not yet decided if thats what I want or if I would be better off to make a matching top. I am sure it will work out one way or the other anyway.

 

I am though, very happy to finally finish these, because they have been taking up space for a long time now, with me just doing a small bit and thinking lots on what is meant in the directions. All in all, though they took me a while to finish I think they are quite straight forward to make it was just that I had not made anything similar before.

I suppose really it means with the jumpers I have recently also completed that I am getting ready or Autumn and Winter now then. For once I am ahead of the game not behind it!


Ah pink top was made from an old dress here:

https://brackencrafts.blogspot.com/2021/06/planning-my-sewing.html  and its part of my current aim for making some basic tops. Goes well with these trousers though thats an accident really😀

Thanks for popping by

Bracken



No comments:

Post a Comment