Wednesday 6 April 2016

27: Better picture of orange raglan top and a new top

I have some slightly better photos of my orange two colour-sleeve raglan top now. It was a great location out and about shopping but the original photos just did not show enough of the top I was trying to show so here is a better one of the front:








and the back:
This is my latest attempt at a raglan sleeved top:

Its from the Newlook 6230 pattern so NOT a free pattern but was half price at Jaycotts recently so I decided to invest in it.
NL6230 Misses' Knit SeparatesNL6230 Misses' Knit Separates
Unfortunately I did not bother reading the instructions OR the pattern pieces and cut the back piece out on a fold rather than with a centre-back seam. That is good because I prefer no back seam. Seems a stupid thing to put one there if you do not need it for shaping!
But bad because I failed to take out the seam allowance which makes it baggy on the back! You will have to ignore the straps. They are from what I am wearing underneath.

I have not ironed it either as you can tell:)


I also think its a bit short which will be fine with skirts but not so good to cover up my bum when wearing leggings.


I did not use the neck edging band here since I was in a hurry to finish this
 but will add this on my next version. It is a nice baggy overtop partly due to my not noticing the CB should be cut and seamed  but also because it seems it is just baggy and the neck is a bit wide - possibly partly down to my missing out the neck band but not completely I think. The fabric is a reasonably thick ribbed fabric which I picked up for 99p off ebay for about 3 meters so its a wearable muslin really. At least when I make it in more expensive fabric I will do it right next time. I shall not bother to alter this because it will work with some of my wardrobe as it is and could really be worn off the shoulder which will mean the baggy back is seen less and with a bit of luck summer is coming and I have no basic black off the shoulder tops in my current clothing so this could be good after all.

In the end though I still prefer the pattern which is FREE from http://www.itsalwaysautumn.com/2016/02/15/long-sleeve-raglan-sweatshirt-free-pattern.html
but I will be making another one of these. Also this Newlook 6230 pattern has a straight skirt pattern. I have recently made several skirts similar to this but without a pattern. Always good to have a proper pattern since I find it avoids expensive mistakes and as you may realise I am not the most experienced sewist around.
Thanks for reading and feel free to leave any comments:
Bracken


No comments:

Post a Comment