Tuesday 8 May 2018

Lindy Petal skirt, white lace trimmed top, #MMM18 day 8




I downloaded and even printed the Lindy Petal skirt pattern probably 5 years ago and never got round to putting it together. Finally I not only taped all those pages but also made it. Partly I am spurred on by #MMM18 since I have no "bottoms" or not enough that I can wear for work and partly because I aimed back at the start of 2018 to make more work clothes.

So this weekend I got round to making this skirt and this top. The top is not a great success but I love the skirt. I think I would shorten it slightly for play but for work its great. Its made from the cheapest nastiest coral coloured polyester crepe and then the top layer is a nice but pale pink lace. I could not see what I would make from either fo these when they arrived ( Ebay purchases). I do not go in for pink much and especially pale pink. Lace I love but other than knickers I could nto thik what to do with this. Then after all my recent disasters I decided to be sensible and use fabric I do not care about. Initially this was going to be a single layer of the coral crepe but after cutting and trying against me for size I decided to add a top layer of lace. And I really like the finished effect. Just shows what a cheap bit of fabric can be turned into really. I simply overlocked the edge of the lace and left it.


 The top pattern is McCalls M6612. However I used two layers of another very cheap nasty fabric. I think its meant to be a stretch lining fabric so I got the idea - 90s style to layer it cos its a bit like that thick mesh that tops in the 90s were often made from.  I used the second layer to make a lovely neckline and will line more tops in future like this. Then the idea was to do rolled edges on the sleeves and hem.

Thats where it all went wrong! My overlocker which I damaged a few weeks agonow was having none of that. I lost loads off the edge of the sleeves trying again and again to get a rolled edge only to give in and use my old cheat technique of adding stretch lace. Thats not perfect either. I have a small ladder on the inside of one sleeves but for about £2 including lace, fabric and thread its going to give me a new top even if it will not last long. I reckon I will get a summer out of this and thats good enough.
  So this was a good weekend's sewing and I did feel good having a  whole new outfit to wear to work today.

Thanks for visiting
Bracken


1 comment: