Friday 18 September 2020

Burda Easy camoflage dress

I really felt success when I first put this  dress on. Its a Burda Easy pattern from this magazine

 

I made it from what was left from my camo leggings

 There was so litle fabric I actually had no seam allowance on part of this so I had to sew really carefully down the very edge of the fabric with my overlocker because I could not afford to cut anything off in some parts. I carefullymarkesd the sewing line with pins so I did not get confused. Most of it did have seam allowace but there were two bits on the front seams with none. I sewed much slower than usual. 

Then there is the neckline with the slightly too big loops. This was seriously outside my comfort zone tho. Its not perfect but Ok for my first attempt at something like this. I would have liked better but I am not unhappy and could not risk taking appart and damaging the fabric. The facing was also far too small but it just about works. Then there is the very dodgy uneven wobbly stitching round the neck which holds the smaller than it should be facing down. It all works thanks to the camo pattern hiding where I wobbled and sewed it wrong. 


Have to say I am so very happy with this despite everything. I wore it once so far and it definitely suits early autumn. Its not cold here yet, just wet, so this is a good dress for now and for once I have sewed up something that actually fits the time of year. Thats just a  coincidence of course but it still makes me feel happy. I am going to enjoy this dress I can see that already. I need some baseball boots. I think they would suit this look and time of year.


Hems are all twin needle stitched and its sewn up entirly with an overlocker except for my dodgy top stitching round the neck line.


Not unusual for Burda this is quite a bit longer on me than in the magazine photos. Maybe I am just much shorter than their models. I am 170cm tall tho so OK for most pattern company patterns. I do seem to have lots of Burda makes though that turn out much longer than I am expecting.

 


Considering the side panel fabric is the opposite way up to the rest of the dress I think this has actually worked out rather well and proves you should be daring with any scraps and take risks even if the patterm only just fits on the fabric. Of course the camo print helps immensly with making this work.  

 

Sewn slowly and carefully though, you really can sew things up with little or no excess seam allowance. You mustnot cut anything off o the narow bits so it ends up the same width through the entire seams. I should have taken a phot so I can explain better but never thought at the time. 

I feel I really got the most out of this fabric which is great because it was one of my expensive birthday buys. I have a very small number of scraps left. Not sure what else I can make but for now they are in the stash. They might do a facing or something. Or maybe some underwear?

Take care

Bracken


2 comments:

  1. The fit looks nice on this. Which Burda easy was it from? Issue/year doesn't show on photo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Karey, Sorry about that and thanks for letting me know. This is a Burda Easy Autumn /Winter 5/2015. Pattern number 3B.

    ReplyDelete