Wednesday 10 March 2021

Camo leggings and updated green velvet T shirt dress


These are basics. 


The camo leggings are made from scuba bought from Ebay and I love the fabric so much I am intending to buy more on payday. They are warm, comfortable and fit great. Perfect for spring I think. Though I may redo the waist because I made it a bit big or at least I have lost a little weight since making but thats easy enough if I do not get fatter again.😁

 

These are made from McCalls 6173. I wanted a simple basic leggings pattern for these because the print is busy and I did not see the point of chopping it up. I think I chose right. It tempting to make more interesting leggings but I like the basic ones. 

 

Being just two pieces it would be hard to add a pocket since these have no side seams. But I also find where I have put a pocket on leggings I do not very often use it. I am a bum bag or rucksack girl so rarely use leggings pockets. Weird because I prefer trousers with them.

 

The green top was made several years ago and never fit properly. I originally thought it a dodgy pattern but experience now tells me its probably just the wrong size. I no longer have it because I could not see that I would want to remake it but maybe I will print it again and have another look.

 

 At the start of my sewing adventure I did not understand that an American size 8 is different to a UK size 8. So really when I made the green dress I probably made a size 12 hence it was too big for me. Its since been in and out of my wardrobe and my fabric stash with a view to being made into something else. Being a nice sage green velvet that I like I did not want to throw the fabric away. 

 

In the end I took in the sides and removed the old neck and just overlocked it and turned it under, then twin needled to make it into a T shirt. I did a new hem because by the time the sides were taken in it looked a bit rubbish if I left it, and I also had to take the shoulder seams in a bit. I actually never changed the armholes. In the end though this now fits and I love it. Though as a winter dress its a bit too short for me. A good top though.

 

I am though considering a second change for longer sleeves which would be easy to add but I need to find my green velvet and see if there is enough left over to do that. My stash is currently boxed up so we can decorate. The longer sleeves idea is really just the practicality of this being a  winter top and having short sleeves. If there is not enough green then I will leave good alone but if there is I am thinking to just add a sleeve onto the armhole. I have seen a few patterns like that and it obviously works for the likes of Burda.


 This was a very good day because I even made my underwear. I know you cannot see it but I do love it when I made everything though I do not yet see me exploring shoe making which would be the logical next step - like Handmade Caroline did.

It was really an accident that the same day I made the leggings I finally got round to fixing the top as well, but they go together perfectly and I find them really good for a sunny but cool spring day walking my dogs.

Bracken


No comments:

Post a Comment