Friday 31 March 2023

Baby chewable fabric books


These are a kit you can buy from Spoonflower.  https://www.spoonflower.com/en/fabric/2163354-chewable-books-x4-bonus-book-by-debsch

So what you get is a preprinted piece of fabric which you cut up and then sew into pages and eventually sew into 4 separate baby books. I thought they will make a nice gift.

Since I bought these I discovered Spoonflwoers actually do loads fo other fabric books but I have not bought any of them so far. Maybe next time. You get four different books with the link above - Wheels, Vegetables, Fruit and Flowers. I have yet to work some of the flowers out. They are on the designers website though so I will have to go and check them out sometime. The other books are easier - flowers are not my strong point I am afraid.



The first book I made from this was simply sewn as directed. Second and susequent books I added crinkly cellowrap inside one page of each book. It seems to work well. The only thing here is if you do decide to do the same you need to check the cellowrap is non-toxic to children. There are several craft shops and online sellers sell the right kind. Kids do seem to love that crinkly sound though and most commercial fabric books seem to have it inside at least part of them. I added to just one page in each book.


I attached cellowrap to the page first then sewed the page front to back enclosing the cellowrap. I had to double check this bit since I nearly ended up putting cellowrap on the outside not inside of one page!

Ah and instead of fiddling around with the very narrow printed red strips meant to be used for tieing the book to a pushchair or similar I just used nice ribbon. Thats was much easier.

But really so long as you concentrate this was a very easy project and made a nice change from making clothes!

I have yet to see how baby enjoys these but his parents liked them.


Have a great week

Bracken


No comments:

Post a Comment