Thursday 16 February 2017

73: Redcoat part 3 - I hate it!


I started to make a new coat a few weeks ago. To be honest with Christmas I found loads of distractions so it is was not going very fast at all. I seem to be making party clothes in preference to this. Partly its down to finding excuses to make party clothing instead. And Christmas fairies for the tree! See here http://brackencrafts.blogspot.co.uk/2016/12/gothic-christmas-fairy-for-my-tree.html and here http://brackencrafts.blogspot.co.uk/2016/12/75-quick-party-top.html for more on these.

All I have done so far is pin my bottom coat bits to my top bodice bits and cut out my lining.
http://brackencrafts.blogspot.co.uk/2016/12/73-red-coat-part-2-slow-progress.html
Then I have spent all of January just looking at it.
I  obviously need to ensure all my seams join at all the right points so this is my reason for taking so long over this bit.


But the trouble is I hate it!!!


It all lines up etc.

But I just do not see me wearing it!

What a pain!

I think really I do not like the waist seam and if I was making a long coat which obviously was my intention when I cut it out I would prefer to have more smooth lines with less seams from top to bottom. I do like princess seams but I don't like this.


 
I just hate to waste expensive fabric. Or even cheap fabric for that matter. Well I do have more of this fabric so it occurs to me that this coat pattern also has 3 other views. One of which is the view  bought it for.
  
I could re-use all but the skirt pieces and use the same lining bits but just cut some peplum skirt bits from the rest of my fabric which I believe I will have enough of.

My lining bits

Image result for burda peplum jacketThis is what I am seriously thinking of making because I love it. I bought the pattern for this jacket but then decided to make the coat but I really think I would wear this. In fact this pattern is what got me interested in Burda.

My only concern is if my fabric is a bit too thick for it. Red velvet sounds OK though. This is actually upholstery fabric so very chunky. But it might work and I have already wasted half of it if I do not finish this so onwards I go................


Thanks for reading and for visiting my blog
Bracken

No comments:

Post a Comment