I have had Simplicity 1772 for ages. It was one of the first patterns I bought. From a wear-ability point of view I probably should have made the shorter version of this dress but I rarely have enough fabric to make the full length dress so I went for the longer length one instead. This is a green ribbed synthetic lycra that I bought ages ago in a sale and was about £3.00 from what I remember. The stretch lace was more expensive at £6 for 2m but I only needed a small amount so not the end of the world. I have more lace to play with later.
I ended up changing the hem to a high low hem anyway because I would otherwise be treading on the front as I walked.
As you can see the back has ended up with a train! I do not mind this but it will mean I do not wear this outside in winter!
We are intending to check out a Steampunk market at Sandbach in April ( I think its April) so I made this to wear there. Should be a fun day out I think.
I am not short at 5 foot 7 inches but the model in the pattern packet must be much taller than me because there is meant to be a wider frill on the hem as well! I had to make the skirt a bit narrower since my fabric was not the width required by the pattern. I don't think it actually matters though since the dress resembles the pattern quite well after all.
I am not sure what my fabric actually did measure because I never measured it but the pattern pieces were too wide so I tucked the pattern and made the skirt narrower.
The dress is meant to have small buttons down the CB and stretch braid round the back and front neckline but I did not have any braid so I missed that out. I think it works well anyway.
Though next time, if I ever make a second one I would cut the CB lace insert on the fold and remove the CB seam I think because there is absolutely no reason for it unless you do what the pattern says and have small buttons down the back. I may add these but am currently undecided. I do not think it will add much and may make it less comfortable to wear. This is actually the reverse of the fabric which makes it a bit darker green. Though probably you could use it either way. There is a stretch narrow lace edge all round the hem, sleeve edges and neckline.
I had some serious issues with tunnelling on the hems from twin needle stitching which I never sorted so there is a very imperfect edge.
Thanks for visiting my blog,