Thursday 7 September 2017

Dotty flared trousers with twisted seams






































I have already made two versions of this Burda pattern. See here: http://brackencrafts.blogspot.co.uk/2017/04/98-and-99-sports-top-and-flared.html
and here: http://brackencrafts.blogspot.co.uk/2017/05/mmm17-day-24.html
Both worked pretty well though I have since wished I had altered the direction on the pinstriped fabric to make a feature of the different directions. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Still they make a great pair of work trousers and few people have actually asked where I bought them so they look good enough to be RTW which pleases me. The other pair were simply an experiment which used up lots of scraps and worked out wonderfully. They are a very favourite pair of trousers. I even wore them out to lunch on my birthday. I love them so much. They are one of the big successes from this sewing journey.


This pair however are not as good. I was really careful to put the pattern pieces along the grain line etc but still the seams are twisting. I do not know why. If anyone reading this does please tell me because I would like to never make this mistake again. Luckily they are still wearable because you cannot really see the twists with the very busy dotty pattern but I am not happy with them. They will probably become "lounge" trousers which will mean this does not matter. Autumn is with us in the UK and its getting colder in the evening so they will be great for just lying around slobing and watching TV. Also I will be able to pop out to the shops and not feel like I am wearing pyjamas. So not a complete disaster. I almost felt like claiming they had "engineered twisted seams" like the 1990s Twisted Levis, but maybe that is pushing my luck a bit.

 You can just about see the twisted seams here:

 
Luckily the  very busy print hides most of the seam error



You can see the seam problems here

 I also added a yoga type of fold over waist band to these so they are very comfortable which makes them ideal for slobbing around in! If you want to add this kind of waistband it is simply a wide strip of fabric. You join the ends together to form a circle, fold the fabric in half, keeping your circle and sew with both edges together to the top edge of your trousers ( or skirt). This forms a neat fold over top for your trousers.
Inside  and outside of fold-over yoga waistband
These trousers do go very well with my favourite wrap top made here:








I am thinking, despite the obviously second rate sewing here, that I will enjoy these all the same! Despite not being even remotely perfect, these are as good as some RTW, they make excellent yoga/lounge pants and if nothing else they are unique. And you can only see my dodgy twisted seams if you really look close and most people don't.
Thanks for visiting my blog,
 Bracken


No comments:

Post a Comment