Sunday 24 September 2017

Goth graveyard lace T shirt

I bought this fabric some time ago with some money I was given for my birthday. Well what else do you do with money?
Its kind of the right time of year for this (as in its nearly Halloween) although I bought it to do this in July. But I wear this kind of stuff all year round. You can buy the fabric here




Its a very 1980s style square T shirt similar to these tops I made using a Burda draft it yourself pattern so its a very easy, fast to make top which is what I need this week because I am stressing out over my corrections.

There is one pattern here:
http://www.burdastyle.de/burda-style/schnittmuster-unter-1-eur/longshirt-u-boot-ausschnitt_pid_1519_7181.html

There are a few variations of this pattern on various Burda sites with short and long sleeves and Hi-Lo hemlines but they are all basically the same pattern.




My previous versions of this top are here:
http://brackencrafts.blogspot.co.uk/2016/05/mmmay16-day-20-i-feel-very-punk-today.html
and here:
http://brackencrafts.blogspot.co.uk/2016/05/mmmay16-sunday-22nd-may-my-green-scarf.html
and here:
http://brackencrafts.blogspot.co.uk/2015/12/8-dark-navy-top-with-step-by-step.html
if you do want to have a read.

Yes, I really do like both making and wearing this pattern!



Really though you do not need a pattern for this. You need about a meter if making the short sleeved version. Cut it wide if the fabric has limited stretch like lace. Its two identical rectangles for front and back and two more for the sleeves.

Slightly shape the front neck if you want to. Or if you want wide and off the shoulders look you do not need to shape. If you add a neck edge like I did here you need a strip long enough to go round where you want the neck to be.



To make: sew one shoulder, sew on neck, then sew the other shoulder and the neck as one long line of stitching. Then add the sleeves. Sew up the side seams and hem or not as you wish.

Sorted! One basic baggy Tshirt.

If you have stretch lycra or even 100% stretch cotton jersey you can make them tighter. I overlocked the hems just to neaten but you could add another strip at each hem if you wanted so its a bit more Tshirt-like.


 I had my viva on 12th and have absolutely loads of corrections to get done in 3 months. If I do not do it I will not get my PhD and having studied for nearly 4 years I want it. It is making it difficult to keep up with my blogging though.

I have not done anything to my shirt dress this week as yet but will post about it once I do the cuffs and button holes. The previous posts are here:
http://brackencrafts.blogspot.co.uk/2017/09/shirt-dress-part-2.html
and
http://brackencrafts.blogspot.co.uk/2017/09/burda-easy-shirt-dress-part-1.html



So what is there to say really about this project?

It was fast - took about an hour including working out the best way to cut it out. My lace has a direction - otherwise I could end up with upside down skeletons!
I added a strip of the same fabric for a T shirt type neck rather than just overlock it like the previous versions. I still just overlocked the hem and sleeves but I think this will get worn a lot and not just for Halloween. I absolutely love this fabric which is from Ebay ( link at the top of page) if you do want to buy some. Very affordable and came really fast. there are two colourways as well. It would actually make a very nice scarf but I wanted a lace T shirt that I can wear over black slip dresses or tuck into trousers. A success I think

Thanks for visiting my blog,
Bracken

No comments:

Post a Comment