Monday 24 February 2020

Pattern testing version 3 of the Pattern Lab Swimsuit


At the same time as cutting out my striped swimsuit
I cut a coral swimsuit, as well, from some fabric I have never before found a use for because to be perfectly honest its just not my colour.










Well I did make a top from this right at the start of my blogging adventure (or at least the sleeves were made from this fabric) and although it was a success - due to me actually making a garment, I never liked it and it felt very old ladyish.

I sent it to the charity shop years ago once I started to make clothing I liked. Mind you despite these tops being pretty rubbish, at that time I wore them with pride. I do actually still own one of these tops, from that period of my life, but most had to go. I love the khaki and white top with the orange edging round the neck. I still wear that one and really should make a new version.


Anyway, I think as swimsuit fabric this could be very good and also the fact its crepe could just keep me warm in the sea in Cornwall.

So this is version 3.
 
 I think from my original feelback the leg height is correct on this one. It does not pull down and its actually not see through in water because I tried it in the shower!

However, despite this I sort of feel its kind of leotardy rather than swimsuity.



I twin needle stitched this version so I could contrast it with the zigzag of the previous two. I am not sure which is better to be honest and will probably contiue to alternate as and when/if I make more swimwear. Its different edgewise but not really better.

I now finally also have some "proper" swimwear fabric so am going to have to make a final version just because of that. For that one though it will have a front lining.

Finally I promised Ralph to say that if you would like to help perfect this block and wish to test the blocks then please email Ralph at testing@patternlab.london  to get involved in this project.

Bracken



No comments:

Post a Comment