Wednesday 29 January 2020

Pattern testing version 2 of the Pattern Lab Swimsuit

Here is version 2 made from what I believe is proper swimsuit fabric and the front is not so low and possibly legs higher than version one so more like they are meant to be.

From Ralphs feedback from the velvet swimsuit- that the fabric is not stretchy enough vertically, so I decided to try to find some more swimwear type of fabric.

The mermaid swimsuit fabric I bought from amazon was absolute rubbish so I am sending back. I did fancy mermaid scales but its obviously not to be. Also it was £11.99 per meter so pretty expensive. I have bought two different pieces ( yet to arrive) from an Ebay seller so wil see what they turn out like.The seller assures me its proper swimwear type of fabric. There are absolutely no fabric sellers near to me so the internet is my only choice. The stuff I bought from Amazon is total rubbish and has virtually no stretch so I would avoid if I was you.


Version1 - velvet swimsuit
Anyway you can see my original velvet swimsuit right but its just not very good so I needed to make a second version and try to get that one right.  I rummaged through my lesser known bits of fabric stash so everything that is stuck at the back of my shelves where my fabric stash lives, knowing I had still got some of the striped lycra fabric I used for my skirt and trousers and this is probably the only real swimwear fabric I have bought ever. I am not certain its actually meant for swimwear but its stretchy enough and the right weight etc so more than likely its either swimwear fabric or dance wear fabric. It does sew into very nice flowy dancwear clothing though and made a nice summer skirt for my holiday.


So I cut a second swimsuit from this. I have not matched stripes because the fabric was just left over bits. Amazingly its turned out pertty much pattern matched anyway which is really good but a complete accident. But then I suppose its easy matching stripes.
Unfortunately, I ran out of elastic so I think the arm holes are tighter than should be. Obviously with wear this will relax but its not the best finish ever. Now have some more elastic so will try to get time to finish version 3 in the next couple of days.My first purchase of elastic seems to have gone missing in the post.
 

Because I refuse to freeze outside - and also do not particularly want my neighbours staring at me in swimwear in Northamptonshire in January - these had to be taken on the doormat in the conservatory because its the only place bright enough so you will have to excuse the muddy floor and wellies in the photos.



 This version I overlocked the edges of all openings, but did not cut off any fabric so the edges are a bit "fluffy" but I have kept the seam allowance.


Then I used this edge to cover my elastic. Again stretch zigzag for openings and overlocked the inside seams. I did not sew the elastic first to the right side like the first version and then flip it over and zig zag on wrong side. I think this was a mistake because it came out a bit irregular so in future I will not skip that step.


I was worried this version would be too see -through but its Ok as it turns out but I have yet to find out when wet.That will have to wait for summer unless I try it first in the shower which is probably the best option rather than embarassment on the beach. Mind you in summer this will work really well as under my trousers and skirt made from the same fabric so if it does not work as a swimsuit I will wear it as a body even though it has no poppers under the crotch. It will not really matter if I am not wearing layers after all.

So other than my dodgy elastic on my arm holes, I think this is a great swimsuit. I still have version 3 to finish though which is made from yet another stashed fabric. I will show you that one in a few days time once its done.
If you would like to help perfect this block and wish to test the blocks then please email Ralph at testing@patternlab.london  to get involved in this project.

See you soon,
Bracken

No comments:

Post a Comment