Monday 22 March 2021

Smart wool mix work trousers - Burda 7122

 

I was really cold this January and early February. Some parts of my job take me outside to visit companies - even under lockdown. I needed some warmer clothing and I bought some wool mix fabric sold as coating and also some very cheap white fleece. The idea being to make some cozy warm work clothing. I have yet to find time to use the fleece but these are made from the coating fabric.

I currently have this kind of mental block because of the UFOs getting in my way. Always it seems, on my sewing table, I have 3 items that have been there for months and they are in the way. Hopefully over the next couple of weekends I can manage to finish them and then get a bit more productive. They are stoppong me from doing things like these trousers because I have no space to cut or sew anything. Now what I really need to do next is to finish a white shirt that has been in my way - and getting dirty - since August! And a cape that has been there since January and then I can start some new projects because I seem to have a collection of UFOs that just never get touched at the moment and I feel they are preventing me from starting the new year projects I had planned. I really must get to grips with these and finish them next.

Anyway despite my problems with UFOs, I decided to make some warmer trousers. My RP vintage trousers have been great, but they are not warm enough for snowy weather. Despite I have very much enjoyed these trousers, I did not, however, want to use the RP pattern because it took too much adjustment to make it fit.

I have though made several wide legged trouser patterns before. They seem to be somewhat of a theme in my wardrobe.

These are made from a pattern I have made 3 or 4  times before.The most recent pair are the grey pinstripes I made last autumn. I was originally going to use the Jamesia free Mood Sewciety pattern but could not find it and was being lazy so decide to just use this pattern instead. Its nice enough and the black version have virtually been worn out I like these so much.

Sadly by the time I actually finished making these the weather has turned. I did get to wear them twice on cold days and they did keep me warm and they will be good next time there is a cold snap - and after all this is England. It could snow in May!


The facings are made from some floral cotton - I am pretty sure its curtain fabric. I have been using it for muslins and facings for a while now. 

These are slightly creased having been worn all day when I decide to blog about them. I try to blog when something is new and unworn and as perfect as possible but sometimes this just doesn't work life-wise and after all I make stuff to wear really, not just to blog about.

I would have liked skull fabric facings for these - you know like a secret gothic-ness for my work trousers. This was not going to happen since I seem to have used all the skull fabric offcuts for masks. So floral it is.

Inside these you can just about see a plain grey. The fabric used for these trousers is double faced. I did not care for that when I bought it but I am seriously thinking I may make a second pair at some point using the other side of the fabric as the outside.

 

I am pleased with these trousers, because they really do fit me properly. I seem to have made most of my clothes a bit big. Thats safer than a bit small of course, but to actually make some that fits is really good for me.Very encouraging. Maybe it should be this years aim. 

I have a list of course of what I hope to make this year. I usually do a blog post on it at the start of the year, but every year I never end up making what I intend to at New Year, so this time I decided not to set in stone what I am considering and just let it flow a bit. 

But getting garments that fit me would be better in many ways than lots of stuff that is just OK. Not that making lots of nice clothing is not a good idea but to get it all fitting right has to be better. I very much admire sewists like feyr trade  gray all day and 50 dresses

There are others as well but these I visit often. Each makes different types of clothing but all make it fit right. I have found when I look back at the older blog posts my sewing has improved lots. Its a good feeling. I also find my photos are much better. Thats good for my photographer - my other half. He used to find it all annoying but over the years has really got into this. My blog has in this way become a joint venture. I never expected that to happen I have to be honest.

Take care

Bracken

 





No comments:

Post a Comment