Thursday 6 July 2023

Black pointy pixie dress

 

The title of this post is "pointy" due to the hem and the hood both ending in points. So kind of witchy or pixie -ish. The pattern is a "pixie pattern". Its Simplicity 1251.
This is a cotton looped back french terry fabric which turned out really good for this particular pattern.
I previously made a stretch velvet top and a dress in thinner lycra type of fabric from this pattern and neither works as well as french terry to the extent I intend to make a second terry version of this dress.

The hem is too narrow though so I might change that because as you walk the front hem flips over to the wrong side showing a white back to the fabric which sort of ruins the look. Its easily sorted though so when I get time I will unpick the hem and resew. 



Construction is slightly unusual for this but very easy. The front and side back are cut together so to insert the sleeve you must first join the side seams. I prefer usually to sew side seams and sleeve seams as one contuous seam. You cannot do that with this pattern so have to ease the sleeve in as you do with most coats and jacket patterns. Other than that its one of the most straightforward patterns you can find yet looks a bit "different".

 I really love this which is good because when this fabric arrived I was not impressed. Its got a space print with planets rockets etc and is a nice print but I just could not see how I could wear it.

How wrong was I in that?
This is possibly the most wearable dress I have made this year!

There is a slight flare to the bottom sleeve edge which is nice. I never actually realised that until making this. The cuff flare is a nice added bit of interest on an otherwise straight boring sleeve. I kind of think real pixies  would want some practicality in their lives too so maybe the straighter sleeve is just better all round.

There is an alternative funnel sleeve you can make for this dress/top that I used for both my previous versions but I find it does get a bit annoying constantly having to tuck the wide sleeve in to do ordinary things like wash up a cup. Sadly not being an actual magical pixie I cannot just magic my cups clean - at least not yet anyway. so thats why I made the straighter sleeve and I am happy I made that choice. I will make it like this next time too I think.

This is a brilliant holiday dress. Not too short, nice childish print which appeals to me and pointy bits on top and bottom. Whats more to want?

Have a great week, 

Bracken


No comments:

Post a Comment