Thursday 25 April 2024

Rash guard


 
Summer is hopefully on its way. I swim both in the sea and in a pool ( which is often not warm!) so I decided its time to finally get round to replacing my old rash guard which I made years ago. When I made the first one it was on a whim because I bought a new book on how to make active wear but I never actually expected to wear that one out. As it turns out its now all stretched and pilly from wear. Well on the good side I  have actually made use of it. It was not time and fabric wasted. Its been worn weekly for yonks.

So I made a new one anyway out of scuba. The first one is made from swimwear fabric so is quite thin. I decided to go all out and see how this pattern works with scuba. Its now been worn twice for swimming and works wonderfully as well as being warmer than my old one.Because I had only 1m of this fabric I had to piece one sleeve but it does not seem to matter. It looks fine and works. No one seems to notice the arm seam and its a "design feature" I quite like. I did worry I had stretched the seam too much. I never actually stretched it but the machine stretched the fabric as I top stitched it with a twin needle. It seems to wear ok and is now flatter than on these photos having been worn in water the last 2 weeks.

The pattern is the one I made from the Make Your Own Activewear book by Melissa Feyr. I used my original pattern tracing but made a smaller seam allowance on the front and it fits better than the first one did. The fabric has been in my stash years and I have no idea where I bought it from. 

 

Have a great week and thanks for visiting. 

See you soon,

Bracken

No comments:

Post a Comment