Sunday 23 December 2018

Leopard velvet skirt and top

A few years back now, in 2014, my brother died. There was nothing really wrong with him. He just went to sleep on Wednesday evening and never woke up on Thursday. The doctors investigated but they never found a cause. It is the perfect way to die really. No pain, No fear. Terrible for those who you leave behind because there is also no warning but I take comfort as do we all who knew him in the fact he was happy and was without fear and pain which most dying people must feel. 

Sometime afterwards I had to clear all his stuff out of his flat and whilst being very upsetting it was also very sad because he had all this new clothing which he had bought but was saving for “a special occasion” and really rather than save it he should have just worn it. But then he never knew he would never get to do so. Since that time I have come to realise I also used to save things for "best" which really means not wearing them. I no longer do this and have made an effort in recent years to just wear it all. After all why save it? I too could just die one night before I wake in the morning. Clothing is meant to be worn and enjoyed, not stored.

This also applies to my fabric stash which potentially is also clothing. I have some lovely stuff in my fabric stash. So my aim a few months back was to stop expanding my stash and to get round to making things which is what I have been doing since then. So far its been quite successful too because I have made some very wearable nice clothing since, and as I clear out my fabric stash I am finding some lovely stuff that really I should be wearing rather than saving for some time in the future that may never come.

I had just a small piece left of this lovely soft leopard print velvet or velour fabric and decided to un-stash this piece. I already made a top with a leopard print front which I like but is actually not very comfortable. That's the black fabric though which was the wrong choice and is probably better suited to a bodycon type of garment. I made this  top at the start of my sewing journey so considering that, its OK. I do still wear it but its not as warm or comfortable as I hoped it would be.

I also made some PJ pants/ yoga pants a few weeks back which left me with a small piece of fabric so I then made this skirt and top. Unfortunately, they do not really work together because I inadvertently changed the direction of the nap so the velvet runs down in the skirt but up in the top. This makes them look like they are made of different fabrics. Its slightly annoying because of the obvious - that worn together I have a dress or the look of a dress and separately I have – well separates. So could have worked out a bit more versatile than they did but hey ho!

Despite that I love them both. I had to make slightly shorter sleeves than I normally do for the top which is made from McCalls M6612 and despite my cock-up with the direction of the pile (nap) its still a nice top which I suspect will get worn lots this winter. AND they are both on trend so bonus or what!
The skirt is just a tube skirt with elastic waist, so no pattern used, but its still a great easy fast make and I will wear this a lot I expect.

I still have atiny bit left but not sure yet what I will do with the last bit of fabric. Its not really big enough to make a garment so I am putting the small bit back into my stash. My stash is shrinking well now though. 
So my 2m of stretch leopard velvet fabric has actually been very good for me and made lots of nice clothing. 

Thanks for visiting
Bracken

No comments:

Post a Comment