Wednesday 7 August 2019

One two three black tops


I realised back in may when we all took are in the #MMM2019 challenge that one thing my wardrobe really, really needs is basic black tops so here are three to start me off. These are all versions of McCalls M6612.

This one has the top as made from the pattern with no alterations:



It is plain black cotton lycra ribbed fabric.


This one is the same pattern but I raised the front neckline and lowered the back neck since I really want a ballet style low back top. There as no rules for this and no guidelines. I just cut the back out on the fold as usual and left the piece folded and cut the neck lower. had no idea how low but its impossible to wear a normal bra with this without it showing so next time I may have to consider that if I make another one of these. other than that it fills a need I had for a low back top for summer autumn very well. I reversed the ribbed fabric to make this top so the rib is the inside of the fabric I used for the normal top above.


That gives me what looks like two different fabrics. You can tell if you look at the inside of this top. So I made one form each side of the fabric. I had to sew them up in daylight rather than electric light which delayed my finishing these because I really could not tell which side of the fabric was which at night.







You can probably tell this is the top I like the best! Its not really work worthy though.











The my third top is a normal M6612 back and I raised the front neck because this pattern actually has a very low front ( as seen in the first top) and sometimes I really wish it was higher. This is a thicker less stretchy ribbing.



https://brackencrafts.blogspot.com/2018/07/orange-dress.html
I made this orange dress from this fabric last summer and it keeps it shape well so will be good for an every day work top. I probably won't wear this one until the weather cools down a bit.









So not the most interesting sewing this week, but should make a huge difference to my getting ready for work in the mornings because it will be much easier with these three basic tops and save me time trying to work out what goes with what.

See you next week
Bracken

No comments:

Post a Comment