Thursday 29 August 2019

Summer skull top



 I made this top from a weirdly shaped scrap of fabric so nothing matches pattern-wise. I did try to get the pattern to match but it was a case of either make the top and ignore the pattern or just keep the fabric scrap for pocket linings as I had originally intended because I did not originally think I had enough fabric to actually make anything from it.
 

It is left over from my tie front shirt made from a free pattern from Mood Sewciety.

https://brackencrafts.blogspot.com/2018/07/the-ginko-shirt-mood-fabrics-free.html

This top though is constructed from very small panels, so I managed to pretty much keep the grain line whilst doing some slightly inventive cutting. Its actually nearly all correct too. I originally thought I would have to go slightly off grain but by cutting every bit singly I squeezed it out of my small bit of fabric. I wish I had taken a photo of my starting fabric because it was such a strange shaped bit of fabric and I really though it was just a lining for pockets until I wore my red top which I made a couple of years ago.
http://brackencrafts.blogspot.com/2016/07/55-red-burda-style-top.html

I got in a right mess when trying to work out Burda's weird directions when I made the red top and to be honest two years on a much more experience at sewing and I still do not get Burda's instructions for this even now. I have though I believe made a better job of making this because this version does look like the Burda version. The first top does not really but it does work and I wear it loads when its hot.






The button on the back neck is an antique glass button so I am not too sure what will happen when I machine wash this. Probably should really hand wash but its not going to happen. My life is just too busy for that. You can just about see it here.




I really should make the dress version of this now in fact because I have actually sussed out how to make this and next time would top stitch across the shoulders. There is meant to be a yoke round the neck not just a facing like I did for version 1. I never understood that before though.

This top is also overlocked inside. The first one has unfinished edges because it was so daunting putting it together I could not work out how to do the overlocking in the right order. Having the red top as a reference for making this also really helped and I got the CF panel the right way up this time too. I have now marked the top on my pattern piece because its very deceptive to work out which way up this goes when you are cutting it out.
 
Thanks for visiting
Bracken

2 comments:

  1. The tops look nice, and cool. Which Burda pattern?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Karey, Thank you. Yes they are really nice summer tops.

    The tops are made from Burda's Cropped Blouse 06/2016 #107.

    ReplyDelete