Monday 19 August 2019

Fluorescent yellow dress and Upcycled band T shirt - Damned Damned Damned

I have always loved the Damned. 

Right from about age 12 I have been a fanso I do likea Damned Tshirt. I bought this one at a gig back in 2016 but despite my love of the band I do not love this T shirt. It started out virtually identical to the one below except my lettering was in white.

Its the wrong shape. I hated the tight neck - I am sure Damned T shirts used to be less tight round the neck when I was younger - maybe its my saggy old body😕

Or maybe cos int he 80s I cut the neck and sleeves off all my Tshirts!

Whichever I do not like this T shirt. I considered Ebaying it but will probably only get 99p or similar for it and in the end its a really good album - Damned Damned Damned that is so I would like to keep it. It also cost quite alot because I bought it at a Damned gig so its an official Damned T shirt and not copy.

I previously upcycled a few other old Ts and it was a real success because I live in them so I reckon this would also be good for this one rather than me chuck out what is a virtually unworn T shirt.

So there is was sittingw aitng for me to get round to doig something with it and I decided to look for powermesh to make a bra ( see a later post because this is yet to be finished). I find msome powermesh and also this offcut of large holed fishnet that I used to make this top inspired by Frieda Petrenko in Holby City.
https://brackencrafts.blogspot.com/2018/03/black-mesh-frieda-petrenko-inspired-top.html

You can read about that one here: https://brackencrafts.blogspot.com/2018/03/black-mesh-frieda-petrenko-inspired-top.html

So finding the mesh got me inspired and I decided to go a differnt route to my previous upcycling of T shirts which all use my TNT pattern McCalls M6612:

https://brackencrafts.blogspot.com/2019/05/me-made-may-2019-days-3-to-6.html
https://brackencrafts.blogspot.com/2019/05/20th-to-26th-may-2019.html

I do not want a low neck on this top because I want to keep all of the print so I am thinking slash neck maybe and because its the Damned and I previously had a tour T shirt with black lace on it I am going to trim the overlocked edges with black stretch lace rather than just hem them.

My intention in fact was to make something like this from it
http://brackencrafts.blogspot.com/2017/10/multi-media-t-shirts-tms-october-2017.html 



So I used Butterick 5562 View D and this is how it turned out. Theres is black stretch lace on neck sleeve edges and hem of this top and I really love it though perhaps the neck is better without it being a boat neckline it sort of stands up. Stuff it, its there now anyway so I can live with it.




Here is worn over my fluorescent yellow vest dress which I also sewed up this weekend.

This was just a very quick make to use my lovely fluoro yellow ribbed fabric before summer ends and it becomes unwearable. Its not best shown here really because the black round the neck belongs to the exercise top I am wearing underneath it. Its just a basic vest dress.

I love this type of basic vest dress because they are so easy to wear. This is my old TNT pattern McCalls M6612. I really need to get round to tracing a version of this before it totally falls to bits. I have repaired it many times already so if I want to keep on using this its time I traced it. Its really weird because I bought this pattern by accident. I never realised I had put it into my shoppoing cart until it arrived and there it was. I bought it in a sale so no point returning because the retrun post was more than it cost. Yet I have used it more than any other pattern I own. Just shows you a basic pattern is often best I suppose.

This dress is some very stretchy lycra unknown fibre ribbed fabric off Ebay. I also own a green version f this fabric which I am making something from next I think.


Its exactly the same pattern as my fluoro pink dress but about an inch or 2.5cm longer since I thought the pink one is maybe a tad short. Also this is of course made from a different fabric. I love that dress so much though so that the obvious thing was to make a second one. Though I am thinking maybe I now need a racer back dress pattern. Just for a change.


I am planning a hoody to go with this but the hoody will be in stretch polyester crepe - my long hated but very warm fabric, but as most often, I intend to reverse this to make it handle-able for me. I think the hoody should transition well into autumn which is useful and will be very wearable with jeans etc. More on that later because I have yet to even cut that out or decide on a pattern.

I must admit to slight feelings of childishness when I wore this to Asda. 

But there you have to be who you truly are, else its no point in living is it?

I do love fluorescents! 
Bracken

No comments:

Post a Comment