Monday 16 September 2019

Pyjama trouser x2, pink top and paper bag trousers.



 I have to go in hospital in about a month's time. Its not a bad thing. Its for a total hip replacement (THR) operation which I need badly, since I now have to use a stick to walk the pretty long distance from where we park to where I work. I am still OK for short distances and inside buildings. According to my doctor and my consultant I should have been using a stick since March so I have done OK.

I decided in the end to use one not only to help me walk but also to stop me wearing out my knee in the good leg because it became so painful I could hardly use it at all and I really do not want to end up with a knee replacement as well and several people I know have had to have that after their THR due to over use of the opposite knee apparently. Note that I have not "officially" been told this by a doctor, but only by friends, so it could be their knee replacements were unrelated to their not using a stick but when several different people who do not know each other all tell you the same thing its probably best to listen, so I am.

Anyway mid October they are doing my op which although I was worried and wondering should I try and wait a bit etc ( due to being young which means I will definitely end up having a second one in 20-25 years time which is currently a huge operation) in the end though, I cannot wait for it to happen. I need to feel normal again and be able to be me and walk and cycle and very importantly be able to walk my dogs again. They are a year old this week and need long walks and I am unable at present to even give them short walks. Had I known this would happen we would never have had them because its not fair to my partner or my dogs. I will not be able to run after the op or at least they advise against it because running is high impact, but you cannot do too much cycling which I love and walking so I reckon time to get fit again as well. The problem with my hip has caused me to be very un-toned and flabby and unfit. I do not actually weigh any more or take a bigger size in clothing but I look un-toned and fat to what I expect myself to look.
 
And I stand weird. I am unable to stand up straight like you are taught in school.



It simply hurts and my leg gives way and I fall over.

I have really noticed this in the photos on this blog.

Not for much longer!

The one small problem with going into hospital though is my lack of PJs.

I do obviously own PJs but they were all bought for me by my Mum for Christmases and tend to have stars and holly and robins etc on them and be made of flannelette since they have to keep you warm in winter.



 I do have some shorts PJs for summer but they are old and worn and October is very variable, so it could be really cold here, so I do not want to only have shorts or Christmas PJs when I have to be in a public ward.

So time to make Pyjamas!

And this makes for a very good blog post I think.



The hospital directions of what to bring with you tell you you need elastic waisted shorts or skirts to wear  apparently when doing physio and generally recovering.

https://brackencrafts.blogspot.com/2019/07/how-to-make-self-drafted-elastic-waist.htmlI made these circular culottes/ shorts here for this bit a while back and with a few other pairs that I already own I should have that bit covered.

But the PJs remained a problem till last weekend when I decided time to get to it and make what I am going to need since there's now less than a month to go.

I do not need many PJs since I will wear a gown the first day for the actual op and they send you home on day 3 so 2 pairs should work fine.

This is pattern: See and Sew B5910 and its possibly the easiest pair of trousers I have ever made.BUTTERICK PATTERNS B5910 Misses' Top and Pants Sewing Template, Size A in One Envelope
It has no pockets which possibly would make them better and more useful but I am not sure about adding any extras right now since they could impact on the scar and hurt. Right now though I do not know if I will have a side scar or rear scar. It depends on the particular surgeon and I never thought to ask. Maybe I should have put side seam pockets in. Well I may live to regret not doing that but I never did.

 So: elastic waist PJ trousers:



I have had the black dancing skeleton fabric for ages. I love it but it did not seem suitable for wearing as a dress other than on Halloween so I have not yet found a use for it. I did consider a jacket lining but that seemed a bit of a waste, but as pyjama trousers yes, no problem. And very me. I cannot remember what fibre this is but think this one is 100% cotton but it could be polycotton. It probably is polycotton in fact since it does not seem to crease.

Similarly with the polycotton camo fabric. I had this for ages as well and I bought this for a summer dress. This would work as a dress but I need something for now and its cheap to replace so time to use it. I love the colour of this fabric and its very on trend right now so its just perfect to bring a bit of "me" to my life as a hospital patient.

This is also good as a project because its very easy to make PJ trousers, its fast and I really need to wear something that does not make me feel like an old lady.

I do feel like an old lady.

Don't get me wrong. Half the people having this op are over 70 and I am only 55 but having something I like to wear that is more me will definitely help me to feel OK with this I think. Its important not to lose sight of who you are. Though in fact the other 50% of patients having this particular op tend to be my age or mid-50s.


I have also managed to clear 4m of fabric from my stash which is also a good thing. Yey!

That is, ignoring the left over bits, but I may make some cami-tops with them next weekend. Depends on if the pattern I have will fit onto the bits I have left.

I have also made the tea bag trousers using Mood fabrics Primrose Pants free pattern. This is the same fabric I used for the culottes and I have tons of it. Its really a cotton curtain fabric but whatever, it makes a great fabric for trying stuff out or for emergency hospital clothing.

Could even be wearable after, you never know, though really I do not love Tea bags. I wore them as a teen and its not really how I want to look these days but needs must etc and the pattern was free. I intend to donate to charity after the op.

They probably look best with the tops tucked in but to be honest I hate that look.





I am more a tops over them person.














They do have front pockets as well which is good.

































They are meant to have mock back pocket flaps but I am likely to have a scar somewhere there so never put them on because I can do without additional irritation if you know what I mean.
 
 Finally I made the pink top worn with these last week. It was aimed at a work top but I think it will go great with my PJ trousers or my tea bags for the hospital visit so I am including this here.





Its made from Burda 6722. I have made it a few times before and as usual managed to cock up the construction.


It does work but I had to bodge it.

I always misunderstand Burda and I put the stitching for the straps in the wrong place and have to redo it or rather add some stitches to hold it in place where the front and back flaps over. This time I never took it to bits I just added some stitching at front and back neck.

I think you are meant to sew the straps higher that I did so I had to add extra stitches so they only go part way accross the shoulders.  It works OK and when on, no one can see this but its not really how it should be. I should have had a look at my previous versions before making this one. Well you cannot win them all so they say.




I am actually very pleased with all of these items and they should make my being in hospital a bit easier than it may otherwise be. 

I am also quite surprised how much I actually really love my PJ trousers to the extent I may even wear them on a beach in summer as actual trousers. Well who's to know really?

And thats it for this week.

Bracken

No comments:

Post a Comment