Sunday 29 September 2019

Cami-tops for my PJ bottoms

So these are 2 small cami-tops to go with the PJ trousers I made for the operation I have in a few weeks time. I made the trousers here:
https://brackencrafts.blogspot.com/2019/09/pyjama-trouser-x2-pink-top-and-paper.html

Both are kind of made from the same Burda pattern as this dress from the November 2016 issue of Burda Magazine and is dress 113 or top 112 though I used the dress pattern rather than re-trace. I think my tops are quite a bit longer than the 112 version as well but much shorter than this green velvet dress.
:https://brackencrafts.blogspot.com/2017/01/80-velvet-slip-dress.html

If you want to read more about this dress click here.

Well as you can see my dancing skeletons fabric top went a bit wrong in that the cups are upside down. Sad but still wearable since more than likely I will wear a wrap top over it anyway. My ops next month, so October, so likely not to be very hot weather. Mind you this is Engalnd so who knows?

Its still preferable to some Sainsbury or Asda PJs which is probably what I would end up wearing otherwise. I had no spare fabric from this so could not re-cut them and had to go ahead with this or scrap the idea entirely. Its a shame the facing inside the back is actually cut the right way up! There was not enough though to re-cut it into a second attempt at the cups. I lined the cups with plain white cotton.

Then for the camo version I just used the back of the pattern and totally ignored the front, so much easier to make. I sewed and then overlocked all edges, added stretch black velvet ribbon for the straps and trimmed with gothic looking lace (both from Ebay).

I like this and it answers a query I have been mulling over for quite a while as in - why not just use the back piece and save the hassle of making the pretty cumbersome and time consuming front cups? I think I prefer the cleaner look of the camo top to the skeleton top. The Burda pattern has a 1930s or 1940s feel to the slip dress top. The camo version below feels more 1990s.



It does not really matter because these are both Ok for the hospital and thats all they are intended for.

So now, all I need for the op, is a wrap top to wear over these. I have yet to decide which pattern to use for that but I will write about it once I have decided. Three weeks left of sewing then I have to stop for at least 6 weeks. It going to absolutely kill me! I suppose I had better do some knitting instead. I could do with a few warm jumpers for winter.




Anyway I am really quite pleased with these tops even tho I managed to slightly ruin the look of the skeleton top. If I find a bit more of that fabric I will possibly have to make a second one of them and scrap this version.
Till next week then, with, hopefully, a velvet wrap top to go over these..........
Bracken

No comments:

Post a Comment