Friday 6 September 2019

My first attempt at a V neck T shirt



This fluourescent green skirt and top has my very first attempt at a V neck T shirt. Its an overlapping V neck. I need to get this right because I want to replace a T shirt belonging to my partner. Its his fave top for the last 20 something years and is literally falling to bits. I have some fabric that will work wonderfully but need to be able to make the neck work. I do not have enough of this fabric for it to go wrong either so I need to do a few practice tops first and this is the first attempt at this and having never done this type of neck before makes it a challenge which if course is always good.

Its the T shirt from steam punk pattern Simplicity 1819 so yet again I bought a costume pattern that is very useable for normal clothing and costs a fraction of the price.

Since I also bought the pattern in a sale it was even cheaper but nearly always costume patterns cost less than normal clothing patterns and if you ignore the picture on the cover and look instead at the line drawingsyou see the possibilities!


I will say right now this neck is not quite right but maybe my next attempt will be better.It actually looks better in the photos than in real life. My other half has said it will work for his top but I want to make it better first and need to do a few more practive attempts.


 A major problem is I never overlocked round the neck and cannot work out how to. The fact the neck ends overlap means that does not quite work. All I can think is to overlock the neck edge and the neck rib before sewing together. That would give a neat inside which this version lacks. I suppose it will not matter because this fabric will not fray but I do lke to try for a RTW finish where possible. This is not!

The skirt is the front section only of  New Look 6230. Its meant to have a split at the back like a pencil skirt but I wanted a slightly shaped tube skirt. Measuring the pattern against my other skirts I reckoned I only needed to use the front to get the size so cut two fronts and then added a waistband. Threaded with wide elastic and voila.

The hem is slightly wavy but will probably wear in. I did not press this at all but wore straight after making.

Its also a bit shorter than the New Look version but it worked out far me "me" if you know what I mean.

Thanks for visiting
Bracken

No comments:

Post a Comment