Monday 27 January 2020

Pattern testing - swimwear for Ralph Pink - Pattern Lab Swimsuit

I had an email from Pattern Lab land in my inbox just before Christmas asking for people to become pattern testers for swimwear for Pattern Lab / Ralph Pink. Well I was just trying to get back into sewing again and finding things pretty hard to do. I thought why not? I applied. I was so excited when Ralph got back to me and I became a proper pattern tester. It meant I actually have to do some sewing which I found very difficult when trying to get back into sewing after my op. Not just physically but I just lost all my motivation or creativity and its been a really good experience being a  pattern tester that I have enjoyed very much. Also out of pure chance this project fits in with Emerald Erin's Bra a week challenge. I do not intend to make a bra a week for a whole year but would like to make a few lingerie type items so this does make for a good start. I also really need more of these kind of items in my ever expanding wardrobe because I only seem to make outer clothing and its about time I got into making everything including undies and swimwear.

I have asked if its OK for me to blog about this and Ralph was happy for that and to let people know that this is still in testing phase and the blocks are not online just yet. But if people wish to test the blocks then please email Ralph at testing@patternlab.london  to get involved in this project.

Ralph sent me a basic high leg low from and back swimsuit block. I started off making in stretch dancewear type of velvet. My main reasoning really if I am honest is that I was trying to use up my stretch velvet bits and in theory it was stretchy enough.

I had to order elastic. Well, my elastic never arrived so having sewn the body together I was just waiting and in the end opted to use my fold over elastic which I bought loads of years ago and still have not used hardly any. Anyway bright green went really outrageously with the black velvet so I used that.






However I did not fold it over but added it like regular elastic and then folded back on itself making it half the width and its still a bit wide really but does work. I have since read that fold over elastic is OK for sunbathing which I never do and in the sea, but not in the pool so if you do this remember that else it may just fall to bits on you.


Despite my first attempt at sewing swimwear its lovely and fits well. Much better than my RTW clothing tho not sure how my stretch velvet would stand up to swimming. Its got an almost leotard look tho definitely is a swimwear pattern rather than leotard. Thats the fabric of course. I had to use fold over elastic since the elastic I ordered has apparently gone missing in the post, but I have not changed the seam allowance since did not fold it over. Or at least its folded onto itself rather than round the edges.  See photos below. Please ignore coffee stains on my table. This was thirsty work!

I had a few issues with the green of the elastic showing through or being pulled through the velvet but nothing to do with your pattern.

I suspect due to using a normal not ball point needle. You can hardly tell when its on. Of course I will always see this.

Used a stretch zigzag rather than normal zigzag for the elastic and overlocker for the main seams.




 
I do like the black velvet although not quite usual for swimwear.





I sent the first photos to Ralph for analysis. 


Ralph says is pulling at front and is therefore lower than it should be with high rise being quite low on the side seam and the plunging neckline being quite low. It is very low.
It feels OK and very comfortable but he is the expert and knows what it should look like.







From Ralphs feedback I decided to have a go at a second one. 

See my next post for that.
Thanks for popping by,
Bracken

No comments:

Post a Comment