Thursday 28 May 2020

Cherry fabric Kobenhaven number 6 by How to do Fashion




Another stash buster for both pattern and fabric!


And another item thats stretching me - as in I would not go out and buy this because I have become very boring and staid and middle aged in my clothing. Time to stretch my boundaries because I have all these lovely patterns so need to stop making basics and get on with making interesting things. Thats why I began sewing in the first place. I previously made the Cerena Romper a couple of weeks ago and that was a serious risk for me. A step out of my comfort zone. And I love it.

So is this dress. But long ago I bought the pattern so I need to start making all this stuff and step out of my clothing rut and be who I want to be again.

I bought the pattern years ago as part of the Monthly Stitch Indie Pattern month. I put it together a year or so ago and never made it up.

The cherry fabric is stretch cotton sateen bought as an end of roll for £10 for 3m at the same time as I also bought the patterned fabric I used for my trousers.
I actually regretted both of these purchases because although I love the fabrics, neither is suitable for work clothing. I might get away with a top I suppose. I have enough of each fabric left over to attempt to make some work tops so thats on my to-do list.


Though I really do not want to waste nice fabric on something I intend to be work clothing that if I end up not liking the design as work worthy I will probably also not then wear it for "play" because I wear very different clothing for work and play.

Its not just the fabric choices its the styles and designs. Even skirt length etc. Since I have tattoos I keep them well covered at work. My workplace would not appreciate them despite what the world may say about equality. Sometimes you just have to toe the line and play the game so to speak. I am not condoning this. I hate it, but life has proved thats just how it works. In my world anyway. I was not fortunate enough to make it as an actress or rock star or even a writer so I have to be "normal" at work. Thats means I get to keep my job and even do well at it.

Anyway thats enough about work ethics.

This is the Kobenhaven dress version 1. I decided to use this pattern which I really liked when I bought it despite its not really at all my style.


I sewed the top first since I was not too sure of the size. By my measurements I am between two sizes. I went for the smaller size since that was the closest to my measurements but was worried it would not fit so decided to sew it first as a single layer and try it out. It turned out quite big so I then cut the lining for the top from the same fabric.

I could not get the pleats on the bodice to be identical for both sides. I unpicked and resewed several times and just could not get this right. The unpicking meant I was causing the fabric to fray and I was getting very frustrated. The two sides never came out the same so would just look rubbish when worn so in the end I gathered instead. That works. Though I wish I had just sewn the two fronts together then gathered instead of doing as the pattern says and (pleating) gathering each side of the front seperately. I also decided to sew a line of stitches to catch the front bodice down to the lining. This was sewn through both outer layer and lining. I am not sure if it makes much difference. Its still not right but I decided it was time to stop fiddling.

I shortened the skirt length before cutting by about 6 inches or 15 cm so by quite a lot. I want this above knee though and hate pencil skirts.Then if its a bit shorter theres a reasonable chance I will actually wear this. Long skirts seem to stay in the wardrobe and never get worn with just one exception and thats a very long faux leather skirt I made. I do wear that one. Its stretch and comfy though and not restricting at all.



However, as it went together I was very aware this dress is not really my usual style. I was toying with using a totally different skirt for example using my The Vampires Wife style skirt blocks for this instead of the skirt it comes with. I am not sure about the front pleats on the skirt which make it a tulip skirt shape. When I put it together I was even more unsure. I showed my partner. At this point I had not sewn the zip in but the rest was together.

My partner though said it looks very cute. Well thats not something I ever remember him saying about any dress before, so I decided to go with this after all. It must be ok!


The only invisible zip I have is white not cream but I think it will do. Its a bit long but I remember lots of different directions on websites and patterns saying you can just cut the excess off invisible zips so I have used that. I have not yet cut the end off. I know I will need to sew over the zip itself to keep the two sides together etc. Its just I am worried to actually cut it. Its very long though so I really will have to deal with that soon.
 

I am not sure if I will make the version 2 of this, though I am tempted. I will see how much I wear this one first I think. I also have no suitable fabric. Though having said that I suspect this would fit perfectly well in a non-stretch woven as well.  I thought if it was made in stretch it would allow for the fact I am between sizes. The pattern does not say you need stretch and its not as tight as I was expecting so I could make a non-stretch version of this and I think it will still fit me.

I think this makes a lovely summer sun dress. Certainly it is adventurous for me to wear this and that has to be good for me.
.
Bracken


No comments:

Post a Comment