Thursday 21 May 2020

Cerena Romper in green velvet


I do not think I would go out and buy this romper from any shop but I love it. I only have this because I sew and it gets boring sewing the same styles over and over. Basics are good but variety is as well. When I began my sewing adventure I wanted to make interesting clothing, but even then its very easy to end up making your favourite patterns over and over. Yes, basics are brilliant but variety matters too.

Sewing allows me to indulge in adventures with clothing that I had as a young woman when I was very adventurous and tried out new things all the time. Rare was the month I never bought something new to wear. I enjoyed, like most young girls, a very varied wardrobe of clothing. In recent years I have kind of become stuck in a rut clothing-wise and wear the same styles all the time.So having achieved a wearable wardrob of clothing its time I broadened my horizons and made some "different" items.

This is the Cerena Romper from Rebecca Page patterns.The pattern is for both jersey and woven fabrics. It has options for with and without pockets and elastic or normal ankles, shorts medium length or long trousers. Being my first ever Rebecca Page make I decided to keep everything simple, so I sewed the jersey version without pockets. That was a mistake.  I should have made it with pockets. Pockets are so useful.


The jersey version is ideal for what I currently want but I think this could work in various fabrics. For example it could be made in sequins for a Christmas party, a pretty print for summer or pin stripes and a plain white cotton top for a more formal look. It would work for clubbing, a restaurant, a holiday in the sun or as I want it as lounge-wear for early morning trips to the shower or late afternoon BBQs.

I made this for a camping holiday. I expect it will be cold in the early morning and evenings and need a lounge suit to wear then. Our proposed holiday is Scotland doing the 500 route, but since we are still in lockdown and its meant to be next month I suspect it will not happen. However, I have to keep faith and keep going etc, so am still getting my holiday wardrobe together even if it never takes place.

Anyway this will be great for simply lounging round at home.


The pattern went together really well and was relatively easy. I used the Quick glance guide rather than the extended instructions ( which could be very useful if you do not sew often) and used an overlocker with twin needle to sew this.

It was a relatively fast make. Its made in a stretch velvet velour in an olive/kahki green which I used for several previous sews. This is the last bit I have of this fabric.

Previous makes are a top and my slip dress and  a very simple dress based on squares of fabric.


I love the colour of this though its not the best quality fabric. It was one of my Ebay bargains a few years ago now so I am still stash busting too😀




The hardest part for me, making this was the neck tie. Probably that is due to my making this in velvet/ velour because I ended up making 4 versions of this and none worked. It just refused to turn inside out in either nap direction. Then I turned this fabric reverse out but again could not turn it, so I in the end I just folded it over reverse side out so the plain side of the fabric shows not the velour which refused to slip, and so there were no raw edges, and sewed with the twin needle straight down the middle of the tie. Its not such a nice finish as turning it properly but does work and being the reverse of the fabric it slips Ok but not too much, and tones perfectly with the main suit fabric.I personally would not bother to sew the trouser darts next time I make this since with the elasticated waist I think they are not really needed but it depends how you want your clothing to look. If making this in a woven then they would be essential to get the fit because the trousers in the woven have a back zip. I really like that this is a very multi-fabric and multi-look pattern for both wovens and stretch jersey. You could make so many different versions.

I also need to make the trouser legs a bit longer next time if not adding the elastic. Thats a minor alteration though. I had to have elastic ankles because otherwise these would have been a bit short. Thats not an issue because I think this looks great anyway with gathered ankles and kind of fits the velvet slouchy look too.

I am actually not a great fan of jumpsuits - or rompers as they have recently become. Previously they were knonw as playsuits in the 90s. I hade a serious dislike of them as a teen associating them with Sheena Easton. Not at all my style. But in the early 2000s I had a couple of shorts versions which I did wear on holiday in Spain and I thought for a holiday look in Scotland in a slightly warmer fabric this could be good.


I would also not normally feel comfortable with a baggy halter neck since I hate the "loose boob" feeling but as a lounge suit its great.

I don't have a problem with a tight fit halter neck though. I like to feel everything is held in place!

This needs a strapless bra really or to be young enough for it not to matter.

I find it very comfortable to wear though and it will be brilliant to slip on early in the morning or at the end of the day as lounge-wear.

 
 
One things for sure, I have discovered a new source of interesting patterns in Rebecca Page patterns which has expanded my comfort zone with sewing. Always thats a good thing.
Bracken

No comments:

Post a Comment