Thursday 18 November 2021

Scandanavian jumper from a free Ravelry pattern

This is from a (free) Ravelry pattern that I have had my eyes on for a long time- as in years. The adult version is made from double knit though and I have chunky weight and very fluffy mohair type yarn. 

Anyway because I made this in mohair (type) this is mainly based on the childs version of the same jumper due to the number of stitches cast on. I used the Blue jumper I made a few weeks ago as a guide to how many stitches I was going to need to get this to work for me in mohair.

You can find the patterns here: 

Childs: https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/sloir-for-kids

Adult: https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/sloir

I say mohair type because I have no idea what the charcoal grey yarn I used for the main body actually is. I bought it from the same Ebay seller as sold me the pale grey tweedy variagated yarn used in the patterned yoke and that had a label on it from BEE BEE yarns which the internet told me is in Yorkshire. I think its some posh hand spun but really other than the very high quality and extreme fluffiness I do not know if both are the same brand or what the fibre content of either is. They look more like mohair than anything else but you cannot always trust the way things look.


Mixed in with this is vintage cream Patons Focus on Cotton which is a 30% mohair with cotton - because its what I had. Possibly really thats a shame because the Focus is not as good a yarn as the others but this is meant to be do-able in vintage yarns and on the cheap ( cos thats just what I do!) and thats what I had available. The child version does not have the cream stripe through the yoke that the adults does so I kind of merged the two patters here and copied the adult " look" with the child stitch count.

The black is left over from the skull hoody. I used less colours in total than the adult jumper though and used black where the original versions (adult and child) both used dark brown for some parts of the spores but I think it works fine like that.

So this really is the pattern for the child's sized version due to needing that right number of stitches I used for the adult Blue jumper - also in mohair. I could not think of a better way to convert the double knitting pattern to a chunky one so I can use the yarns I have collected. Anyway its worked out well. I used a 5.5mm for the ribbing and 6.5mm for the main part - the same as for the Blue jumper.

However the wrist pattern is from the adult jumper pattern because it was easy to convert the repeats to the sizing I was using and I thought would look more interesting - I just needed to increase 2 stitches after the ribbing to make this work - and other than that I followed the colours on the adult jumper so that I have white/ cream in the same sort of areas of the childs pattern as would have been on the adult version. The childs pattern is far more simple as in it uses less colours hence has no white in it so I kind of amalgumated the two sizes to make this. Its an acceptable chunky version I think. For a first attempt anyway 😀

 

The only regret I have is the row of dark ribbing at the top edge of the wrist. Thats a mistake. It should not be there, but by the time I decided that I had started the second sleeve so was not going to unravel all that knitting. Its not so bad, but next time I will go pale grey there. Assuming I make this one again that is. I love the final jumper but its not my normal look really - being neutrals.

Also this is a big change for me. I have never before in my entire life knittted something in neutral/ natural colours. Its just not my style but this animal spore print jumper is me! I really did not see this looking good in bright or even pastel colours though! So I deliberately sourced the yarns for this  ( all from Ebay and second hand but obviously not yet knitted into anything). 

I now have enough yarn left over from this to make at least one and maybe 2 other jumpers though. Thats the problem! I have to find a way to wear more subtle neutral colours in some other nice jumpers to use them up. For now the stash just grew quite a bit bigger while I decide how to use them up.

 Have to say I am over the moon with how this one worked out though! 

Ah the leggings! Almost forgot. I made them as well here:

https://brackencrafts.blogspot.com/2017/05/red-and-black-faux-leather-leggings.html

Enjoy your weekend and thanks from dropping by the blog

Bracken

No comments:

Post a Comment