Saturday 17 September 2022

Red star print dress

 



This is made from a free pattern which Minerva Fabrics were giving away. Its the McCalls M7969.
I really should have made this a month ago when we had 40 degC weather, because the weather has cooled since then. This is a perfect lightweight summer dress.

Because my fabric was a bit limited I just did a pretty straight skirt and cut it at a slant - so Asymetrically - because that was how much fabric I had available. I also missed out the frills on the sleeves. Thats really though because I am not keen on over frilly clothing. I would have missed off the sleeve frills if I had loads of fabric to play with.

 

 There are several different views you can make with this pattern and its turned out very nice.

I do not usually go for the wrap top look (unless its actually a wrap top which I am fond of) but because the pattern was free I tried it out and I am surprised how much I really like this dress.
I was a bit worried about wearing the wrap type of front with no camisole under it to hide my undies. But as you can see it doesn't gape even when I move around which did worry me. It stays in place really well so I am very comfortable and will be confident wearing this out and about- though I will need to iron this being as its 100% cotton and you can see it creases. It was actually ironed as I made it but I need to iron again before wear by the looks of these photos. Thats the downside of cotton though.
Despite all my spinning around its still not gaping so thats really good.

I really made this because the pattern was a freebie and I had the fabric already. The fabric was an impulse buy - I cannot even remember what year! So this was a great way to finally use this fabric. I expect to make another version though because I like this and I think it should work with thick tights and boots for autumn as well. It would also work in a wool type of fabric.

Have a great weekend and enjoy the last few days of summer ( or winter if you are the opposite side of the globe). 

Thanks for visiting my blog, 

Bracken

4 comments:

  1. I actually tried to make this pattern recently and had problems with the sleeves. I am so used to doing a separate sleeve and having it be part of the bodice is so confusing! I put it to the side and I don't know if I will come back to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Laura, the sleeves are seperate on this but they are raglan so part of the bodice. It can be confusing working out which side of the sleeve goes to the front and which to the back bodice. ( I have managed to mess this up loads of times). Now, I usually identify one of these and sew both front sleeves (or both back sleeves ) on to the bodice part then attach the back bodice at the end. Its a shame for you to waste the fabric if you cut this out. Its turned out to be very wearable.

      Delete