Tuesday 2 May 2023

Green starscape french terry top

After last week's success - well I actually sewed something up and finished it! 

I decided to make a top. Another TNT pattern this one but never before made in french terry so thats a new experience. Have to say this stuff is very easy to sew though. I am converted. Or would be completely converted if it was not so expensive. Even at half the usual amount it costs per metre its not a cheap fabric but its quite heavy weight without being very thick so should last a while. 

 

I spent ages pinning the pattern pieces onto the fabric for this and trying to get the pattern to line up and match.

 

One side of the top is great it matches, or nearly anyway, and thats good enough for me. But the other side just doesn't match. Its a bit disappointing bearing in mind the time taken in trying to get that to work. Still I never used to bother with such things so its really not the end of the world. And of course most high street clothing is not cut to match anyway but I did want for the side seams to look matched.

 I will have to try and always stand with the matched side showing when out and about. 😁

 

The pattern is Butterick 5562. Its a much used and easy to wear top pattern and will work well in this fabric I think. And get worn loads. I have previously made both work and play clothing from this pattern so its a good one.

I actually originally bought all my pile of french terry fabrics to make some tops but ended up making the track pants instead last week. Mind you I like them so much I really must make at least one more pair for spring and summer. I just need to decide which are the best prints.

Though at least this week, I am actually making what I intended to make. You know: what I bought the fabric for, rather than my latest idea. I also need this top having had a massive clearout back in January and most of what was donated was tops so I am very short on changes right now. This will serve my purpose well. It should also be wearable with most if not all of my current clothing.

It will also transition nicely into summer due to the almost tie dye print. I only bought 2m of this fabric so there is no real scope for much else and I decided not to buy more of this one. Its a nice print but I reckon might be difficult to wear so I don't want loads made from this. The offcuts are quite large though so I am now considering baby dungarees maybe? Or a baby hoody?

I did make a baby hoody a while ago. 

The first hoody was in black "dragon scale" fabric - I recently bought something called that and its much better than calling it snakeskin don't you think? 

I also made the track pants in sheen fleecey backed fabric which also have been worn a bit. Since both were made using scraps I think they were a big success and well worth my time and effort. Both are Burda magazine patterns.This black outfit includes one of 2 baby hoodies I made in a 0-3M size. I actually ended up altering this with added ribbing as wrist and ankle bands and taped the inside seams later but have yet to get photos of the finished hoody. I will try to do that to include here but this was the first attempt here of sewing baby clothing. Sorry no baby wearing them because Mum does not want baby on social media yet. Probably sensible. Baby can make their own choices later.

I never blogged about it because - well you just don't blog about everything you make do you, or you would never have time to do the actual making. And although I do like to blog, and to catalogue my makes its just not worth cataloguing everything. 

Anyway the baby hoody I made was actually quite good and has been used a lot so I reckon a new one in a larger size in this kind of fun fabric could be good. 

What do you think? 

This starscape tie dye fabric is a kind of child-ish fabric really. Anyway more on that idea of baby stuff once I trace a pattern in the right size.

Also I am not good with making such small items. I find the tiniest error shows far more than on adult clothing - but partly thats why I feel this challenge calling to me; and also I will have loads of nice french terry prints left over from my current projects. I think the offcuts will make really interesting and "different" baby clothing.

Ah the camo trousers are made from scuba and were made a while ago. They have become my latest rediscovered nice spring trousers. Wish I had also made a blue pair but the fabric is all sold out now.

 

So thats what I have been up to the last few days. 

Have a great week

Bracken

No comments:

Post a Comment