Monday 24 April 2023

Red camo trousers

I have been really busy the last week and signed up to a new fitness course which took far more time up than the actual attendance at the course. Never mind, though it has made me much later getting round to posting on the blog.

Ah and I changed my hair colour though not too sure about this right now. I am still getting used to it. Worn with a similar coloured (and me made) tartan hair band its been a good change I think. I really like this hair band with my new hair!

Not sure how long I will keep this though, the hair that is, because its a semi-permanent so is already washing out. Top is indigo and underneath supposedly bright pink but I did not bleach my hair first so its all over natural blonde. The end result is a kind of burgundy colour underneath.

 

OK so about my trousers: I decided the last few items I made in velvet should be the last for a while because its all getting a bit same-ey. That is both my blogging, and also my wardrobe variety.

 I do love velvet clothing, but it has some downsides. Well also some upsides in that its warm and cozy in wet, rainy Britain. But the downsides - well its not a good fabric under things like fleece or knitted jumpers. It tends to move up or down and twist about if you wear under fleece making it uncomfortable so its a great fabric in winter ( in the house) when you tend to stay at home more and hiberate and maybe have a fire going, read a book or knit and snuggle under a blanket, so its nice and cozy to wear - hence also velvet is great for lounge wear. But velvet when worn in winter under fleece which I really do need when its cold, is not so good and not really comfortable. Now its spring I want to go out more so I am wearing fleece quite a bit and fleece lined jackets when its really wet and nasty. So velvet is really not working well right now.

Velvet though is also good when its just a bit warmer because you can get away with no jacket when with other fabrics like cotton jersey, you need one, but then once the summer hits and the hot weather its only good in the UK for evenings. But now I have loads of choices. Its getting now so that I have velvet tops, trousers, velvet dresses, sweatshirts etc and little else. So its time I start to make some "spring"clothing. And time I use different fabrics - like cotton.

 

A while back - I think January or February - I bought a pile of cotton french terry fabrics. All Oketex as well so will be nice to wear and I can use the small offcuts for baby clothes - a project in the back of my mind only at the moment, but still there in my thoughts. And a great use of smaller bits of fabric which I tend to store for ages usually and thats not good from a stashing view point. I am still trying to reduce my stash despite the recent purchase of these french terry fabrics.

Ok so not a new pattern but very much a Tried 'n' Tested (TNT) one - the Lekala Sports Trousers. I made several items recently using this pattern ( glitter sweatshirt trousers, christmas red furry trousers etc etc - I could list loads but you would probably find them a bit boring really cos they are pretty much all the same), and actually the very first clothing item I ever made using an overlocker used this pattern so I really love this pattern. Its not super fashionable but for some reason these are my track pants of choice - again and again - and again!
The red camo is about £8:50 a meter from Pound Fabrics in the UK which is about half the usual price I think and its very good quality. I have added the link incase you want to check it out. No I am not affiliated in any way with them. Just think they are a good supplier and reliable and so far have not ripped me off which is something I cannot say about their nearest UK rivals. Last time I looked they still stocked it. Its actually about a third of the price of similar (identical?) fabric in my local Arts and Crafts shop!

Its a loop back, not a fleece back, so is a good lighter weight french terry and I like it so much I bought an extra 2m of this in fact to make a hoody for my partner. Its exactly the sort of fabic he likes for tops. We will just have to be a bit careful who wears what and when because I do not go in for that "His and Hers" look and even if mine are trousers and his a top I prefer to wear something different to him.

Here I am also wearing my black lacey top made using a My Image pattern. I really want to try a few more My Image patterns. They are Dutch and produce a magazine similar to Burda.

Also my blue furry hoody

So these are the photos: 

I am also making another pair or maybe even two pairs of these trousers out of french terry - different patterns though. But bearing in mind my problems getting motivated with sewing which has been an ongoing problem since December, this week has really perked me up. Maybe its doing some exercise? Not sure. Maybe its just that the weather has been nice and my sewing room is based in a conservatory so its very cold when the weather is cold and hot when its hot etc. But personally I like hot.




Also, I think the change of fabric has also helped me to get my sewing mojo back, which is a bonus. And with a bit of luck I should carry on sewing steadily now, and maybe make a few items for this spring. I really want to cross off a few "wishes" from the new year wish list  as well over the next few weeks. I have actually got round to cutting some of these wish list items out this weekend too. Just need to get round to the actual sewing up bit, which is often the harder bit to actually do I find. I have lots of cut out garments still stored in plastic sandwich bags in my stash and some have been there years now.

 

Have a great week won't you and hopefully see you back here sometime next week,

Take care

Bracken

No comments:

Post a Comment