Thursday 19 October 2023

Green baby aran completed - size 12 months.

 This is an up-size ( is that a word?) of my original baby cardigan/ jacket which was knitted for a newborn. 


You can see the size difference here:



This version also has a cable down the centre of each sleeve which the original didn't since that would have made it too bulky for a new born baby I think. You can also see there are more panels to make this bigger but with hindsight I should have done a stocking stitch edge on each side not the reversed stocking stitch I used. I think that would have looked better,  Maybe I will do that if I knit aother next year though it will have to be in a different yarn due to this being the end of the green. I do have a few scraps left but not enough to make another of these in bright green anyway.

I have not blocked this yet. Its just as fiished being sewn up.
I think I have two extra rows on some of these sleeve cables but I am still unsure so left it alone. It will bug me all the next few months when I see baby wearing this I expect. I do not think most people will see it though - thats if I am right and its not quite identical on both sleeves. I am not good at counting rows on cables. I used stitch markers for the front and back so they are correct but I got a bit lazy on the sleeves. Should know better really!

That newborn version actually fitted the child in question until he was 5 months old. He was born at just 2.4kg though. The latest version is for 12 month old average sized baby. Both are my own design so there is currently no pattern for them other than in my own notebook. 

However, I recently bought this book to teach me to write knitting patterns with a view to publishing them so watch this space for if I actually manage to achieve that. 

 What else can I say? 

Its the same green acrylic DK yarn, which came from Aldi, as the previous version and also as the frog jumper and hat and should go ok with the hat as well which will be a bonus for its owner. 

This one measures 22 inches or around 56cm ( 55.88 apparently!) around the chest. Thats what most 12m old patterns say it should measure to I just aimed for that. I have not yet given it to its owner so I hope this is the correct size.

Its actually taken me ages to get this finished. I began it I think in June. The first one took 2 weeks. But life has just not been helpful to my crafting in the last few months with various relatives being ill and then my Dad passing and its just seemed there is no time for mundane enjoyable things like knitting.



I sincerely hope going forward we have better luck than we have so far had in 2023. Hopefully the ill time has now settled and we can just get back to normality.

Anyway at least this week I do feel I achieved something just by actually getting round to sewing this little cardi up and finishing it at last. Its also cold now in the UK so I expect it should get a lot of wear over the next few months.

Thanks for popping by and have a great week won't you. Go and do whatever you really want. Take some time out to be free and relax. Life is just too short for all this working we all seem to do instead of having fun.

Take care 

Bracken

No comments:

Post a Comment