Sunday 29 October 2023

This is not a Halloween top!

No really this top is for every day life. 
Its just I finally got it sewn up just before Halloween. Still its a bonus I suppose. 

 

I bought the fabric which is Oekatex french terry cotton back in the summer. I suppose though the fabric shops do tend to get halloween fabric in then to give people time to make things but I bought this just to wear because its my kind of pattern.

The spiders are actually house sinders ( UK ones) because they have that cross on their body. I do not know the exact species but there is one living for the last year or so just outside my back door and you have to be very careful when going out the side gate not to get caught up in his / her web. My other half who hates spiders really freaks when he gets caught in it. So far though our resident spider still lives on despite the web being damaged several times.

Well this top then. 

Its a TNT pattern (McCall,s 6612) and its made from just 1m of fabric so thats an achievement really. To have the sleeves long though I had to piece them so added the ruching to make a feature of this rather than have it look like I ran out of fabric ( as really I did!). 

I seem to be getting quite good recently at squeezing tops out of 1m. I managed it with turn back cuffs on my plain black top and I have used this ruching lengthening idea before as well and its been worth it, I could get a 3/4 sleeved top from 1m anyway, but its so much better in wet, nasty, cold UK winters to actually have full length sleeves, so that tends to be what I aim for.



Its a strange one really. I accidentally bought this particular pattern (McCall,s 6612) . Must have added to basket and forgotten to delete before paying. I tend to add all contenders to basket then narrow things down, but on this occassion I bought it by accident, and didn't realise until I received the order. Postage back was more than the pattern so I kept it, and what a good idea that was, because I think this actually may be my most made pattern ever. Just shows you need a few basic patterns how ever boring they seem on the cover. Most things I made from this pattern look completely different to the cover versions as does this top.

Here is a close up of my sleeve extension with ruching. You add elastic to the "cuff" first to create the ruching, then sew to the main part of the sleeve before sewing up the side seam. Easy!


Its also the first long sleeved top made in french terry that is tight fitting. This fabric though has lycra and is quite stretchy so no reason not to use for fitted garments. So why not try a full long sleeved fitted top?




So far I have worn this twice and its looking like a big success so I am very happy with the 1m of fabric I bought for this. When looking back at these photos I found it interesting I had chosen to wear it both times with my rather lovely and very comfy tracksuit trousers which are also made from the same range of french terry fabric. That was not thought out but just happened.

Anyway I wish you all a very Happy Halloween and if you do celebrate it Happy Samhain. 

Thanks for popping by, 

Bracken

1 comment:

  1. I know it's a spiderwebs design, but it makes me think of constellations shining in the night sky!

    ReplyDelete