Monday 6 November 2023

Random makes

  

I have a few rather random makes this week.  

Also an UPDATE on my Review post of my new Brother overlocker -November 4th 2023 so less than 2 months since I got this machine!

My Brother overlocker has so far been a let down it has to be said. And to be honest I have so far sewn two items on it both baby clothing so not exactly a very used machine!

I struggled to get the needles in when I broke one of them. The needle threader doesn't work and the Brother customer support say from the photos I sent them it should do. The wire goes through the needle but apparently not high enough to achieve threading.  I checked I am getting the wheel that raises the needle in the correct position and I am so they say its just weird. Not at all helpful. 

They have said they will look at it though. When I spoke to them it sounds like despite its a brand new machine the threader being a disposable /consumable part means I will probably end up having to pay for them to put a new one on despite I have never so far used it because it doesn't work.

I also struggle getting the tension right - never had that with the Janomes!

So so far I am wishing I bought another Janome! 

 

Anyway, on a happier note, I made a Christmas stocking. No pattern so just free-drew  this ( free-drawn? I might be british but I seriously do struggle with english, and spelling, as a subject!) and it worked. 

I used a ribbon salvedged from a previous year's Christmas cake though it turned out a bit long for the mantel it will hang from so I tied a knot to shorten it but its still looks fine I think and was well received by the person who it was made for.


I am going to make a few of these for different familly members but this is my first so this is my prototype so to speak. The main fabric is off-white  upholstery velvet and the sequins are probably not ideal being stretch sequin braid but what the hell it works and I am surprisingly happy with how the first stocking turned out. If I get time I will show you the rest as I make them but they will all be similar with just an initial to ID who its going to be for. I toyed with the idea of doing whole names but that is a lot of sewing and to be honest its not the easiest stuff to sew onto velvet so I have decided an inital will do. Also not all the familly have short names so it could end up being quite a trial trying to sew some of the whole names - eg Jonathan would take a lot of room up! And an initial works so much better and they will all match as well.

 

I also made some kids clothing. This is a child's dressing gown. Free pattern was from Little Kiwi's Closet and goes from ages 6m to 12 years so brilliant pattern for free and it all lines up etc. Perfect. Thank you so much Little Kiwi's Closet.

https://littlekiwis.co.nz/childrens-dressing-gown/ 

Though I did slightly alter the pattern since in eg Retail shops dressing gowns for small children have elastic at the back which makes the waist tie shorter and less of a hazzard to strangulation. 



This works but actually made the making much more difficult because I could not sew the multiple layers of the fleece and elastic with the overlocker so had to use a zigzag which means its not as neat inside as I wanted. But it works and when I make larger sizes which I intend to then this will not be an issue because I will just add the belt and no elastic or elastic casing.

And finally I got a UFO ( unfinished object) sewed and completed which was cut out a year ago and never sewn up.
 
 

This is the same "pixie" pattern I used for my several dresses and tops over the last few years. Really the only thing actually slightly "pixie" about this is the pointy hood and back hem and it works great as a top for real life, but I like it all the same and it should be very warm and cozy with my red trousers for winter this year. Also it seems this is an "in" fabric this winter from what I see on the high street. I bought it very cheap when it was not "in" so bonus there as well. The bright red is really a bit OTT for my taste but it will serve over Christmas and through the colder months as loungewear so I don't mind it being so bright then.


This top has inspired me as well.  I have a pile of UFO's (literally - each stored in a freezer bag so I keep all the bits in one place to eventually sew them at some distant occasion) so may spend the next few weeks trying to at least reduce that pile to a reasonable, size if not actually clear it completely.

In the meantime I am tracing patterns for coats and winter jackets and tops (not sure exactly which ones as yet) and this is not the most interesting thing to be blogging about so I have not so far taken any photos of the tracing. 

Hopefully this is the year I actually manage to finish a coat off. I tend to start them and then they become another UFO - maybe something to have a look through the pile of UFOs for in fact and reduce the amount of tracing needed! 

The exception is my pink fleece  I made last year but unfortunately thats in storage ready for us to eventually move house so I do not have it to wear this winter by the looks of things. Its really not worth my opening loads of sealed boxes and moving stuff around just to find one fleece though right now when I walk the dog I am cold, and its getting colder, so I really have to decide if I am making a coat or not and if not then find one out of storage. 

Anyway hope you have a great week and thanks for popping by,

Bracken








No comments:

Post a Comment