Saturday 16 December 2023

Tidying the work space


I have done quite a lot this week but not much thats really challenging.  The objective was actually to tidy up a bit so I can have a familly Christmas in a few weeks, and I had stuff absolutely everywhere where we want to have the dinner, so I need to get it all under control. I have done quite a bit of sewing this week, if you add it all together as part of this tidy-up. But its all smaller stuff. It was all fun though and thats half the point really.

The skirt I made left me with lots of weird shaped scraps and I do not feel inclined to make anything thats difficult or needs to be hard wearing like tops or leggings due to the poor quality of the velvet fabric so I decided to make some simple but useable scrunchies. 


That got rid of some of the fabric. 


I also got given a dressing gown ( to cut up) a few weeks ago but to be honest I did not want it since I have loads of stashed fabric and do not wish to add to it right now, so I was going to donate, but a familly member asked if I could whip up a small blanket for the kids in the car. 

So...........

This is made from the back panel of the dressing gown and a patchwork of pieces of velvet  from the skirt, for the front panel. I reckon it should be warm and its cost nothing since really its just an upcycle. Have to say I am dead pleased how this one worked out. I will find out if they like it tomorrow.

Then I spent ages sewing up parcel bags. Well no, this is not original because I made some of these last year as well and then it was a new idea, but I needed more, having given them all away and we only had the two we used to gift to each other last Christmas. Maybe we might get some of them back this year?

We will see. I know some of my older relatives just disposed of them as they would wrapping paper, which did annoy me, but they are over 80 and do not seem to get the idea of living sustainably. This year they will get normal paper wrapping.

Talking of which I bought this wrapping paper from Tesco and yes great they have got rid of the plastic wrapper but by using paper stickers to "control" the roll they actually achieved total wasteage of the end 20cm-ish which is terrible and surely the complete opposite of sustainability, because this 20cm of wrapping paper will never even get used. Its completely impossible to just remove these stickers to use the end of the roll so not only have they ripped every one off they have wasted resources as well. 

Terrible Tesco!

After all could they not have used cellophane ( which is made from plants) and just add a couple of small rings to each end so you can use the whole of the roll?

So anyway I have been busy this week but have nothing that impressive to tell you about. I do, now, have a much tidier area though, and by next weekend when I finish clearing up my crafting mess we will get the table ( and the bit under the table) back for the Christmas dinner. And I am of course cleaning as well! So thats two jobs done towards the holiday.

Have a great week,

Thanks for popping by

Bracken

1 comment:

  1. Home-sewn "Santa Sacks" are endlessly useful and so sustainable! I got a couple of rolls of that plastic free wrapping paper too this year and thought the same thing as you about wastage!

    ReplyDelete