Monday 15 January 2024

My new socks for 2024

 

 

This is the West Yorkshire Spinners Christmas yarn from a couple of years ago but was for sale this Christmas so you can probably still buy this now. Its "Fairy Lights" and is glittery.

Just at New Year I had only begun my second sock

 

 and was desperate ( seriously I was/am) to join this years Winwick Mum Knit Along 2024 otherwise known as the Winter Haven KAL 2024. 

This year there is a new pattern called Treasure Socks and its a colourwork pattern so hopefully that will suit my usual liking for fairisle types of knitting. nyway I got these finished ;last night - almost anyway. I have yet to sew up the little gap you get when you cast on with straight needes - you can just about see the gap here. 

I will sew it up soon though because I want to wear these. After all they took me most of 6 months to knit!


I started these back in the summer because I wanted them for Christmas but then I decided to knit several baby items and I also started a jumper for me - that is still unfinished but I will go back to tht later. For now though I need these so managed to knit sock two in just a couple of weeks. The tension is slightly tighter ( though also more even) than sock one but hopefully that will mean I am in sock mode for the Winter Haven KAL and will be able to get going now with that and if possible make a second pair of socks for this winter. 

They were really meant to be Mosaic Pattern socks ( Also a Winwick Mum Pattern that I attempted previously), but the cherry red is not the best contrast with the Fairy Lights so I abandoned that and ripped them right back to the ribbing which meant reknitting the leg of the first sock. Possibly thats why its taken so long really cos I wanted to do a different pattern and then it did not work and it put me off for a while. But in the end these work and will be really nice to wear. They have the heel in WYS cherry too.


I started the Treasure socks very late last night and so far have only a couple of rows of ribbing done. This colourway is also Christmas glitter yarn and is Silent Night which is dark shades of blue and kind of random rather than the WYS stripes from what I can see online. I am though going to do the Silent Night as the main colour and do cream as the contrast so its going to mean my sock is the negative of the ones on the pattern. I do not have a  WYS yarn in cream but do have some drops Alpaca/wool/nylon which is sold as sock yarn so thats what I am going to use. So here is the start of my Winter Haven KAL 2024.

And I am only just over one week behind everyone else so not the end of the world and I will ultimately end up with two pairs of new socks!

Thanks for popping by my blog. I will show you how these progress as I go along. I am now knitting seriously every evening whilst listening to Audible which is my preferred way to relax and something I have not done for quite a while which is maybe why my knitting stopped. 

Have a great week, 

Bracken


1 comment:

  1. It's always a good time to join in with the Winter Haven KAL - it's a very laid-back Knitalong! Your Fairy Lights socks look lovely, you've made a fantastic job of them :) xx

    ReplyDelete