Friday 9 February 2024

Red flares

  

This is another pair of flares made, in this case, in a  very warm almost coating fabric which was sold as faux angora. The fabric has amazing drape and I think is going to be very enjoyable to wear as an outfit.

Shame the top came out a little large but I can wear something under it so its not the end of the world. And I am more sure than ever it never needed that neck zip - see previous post for details on that one. Its definitely a size too big. Mind you I do like the extra length on my sleeves. When its really cold outside this is a comfort to wear.


This pair, unlike the grey pair, have a proper waistband. I actually toyed with adding a yoke here and maybe I should have because this pattern is low waisted, but in the end I went with a basic waistband with elastic in a casing - sewn down so it will not twist. The fact these are low waisted would make it very easy to add a yoke. I do like low waisted but sometimes its just nice having a change.

T

These days I sew one side of the waistband to the top of the trousers - sew elastic into a circle then to the outer edge of the now sewn on waistband, fold over twice, so its completely encased, and you cannot then feel any elastic when wearing because I hate having elastic next to my skin. I never used to, but making my own clothes has made me more aware of this kind of thing. Then I sew that folded over waistband down with a twin needle which means the elastic is completely encased and stays put and never twists. I will try and get photos of this for the next time I do it because its far better than adding the waistband and then threading the elastic trough. That works, but I always seem to end up with my wide elastic twisting or folding over and by sewing into the waistband itself the elastic just stays where you put it.

 

The side seams are also straight on this pair which is reasuring after the last pair had twists.

Anyway I diverge from what I am meant to be saying- here are the rest of the photos:

 

The jacket defo looks a bit too big. I will cut the smaller size next time I make it for definite.  

But this is going to be a nice warm outfit for this winter and into Spring, so I am still happy enough with this. I suspect I will never be perfectly happy with any of my makes. There will always be something I could have done better! 

Ah and I made a matching hair band too:

Have a great week

Bracken

No comments:

Post a Comment