Wednesday 13 March 2024

Coat in progress

 

These are terrible photos and taken in doors at night, in electric lighting, which never looks good for me but, I wanted to show you what I have been up to. I have made a bit of progress on my planned coat - cape coat. 

 

This is Burda style magazine 128, 12/2002 and its almost finished now. 



Its called a cape coat but does not seem so cape like on me as in the magazine. It will still make a nice coat though I think.

The outer layer is a wool mix tweed - well it feels woolley but I actually do not know the fibre. Its off a discount stall and they said it was wool mix so its debateble. I suspect its a polyester. The back is a shiny knit so its just the front is "wooley".

 

 I lined with velboa faux fur that I stupidly bought 7m of because its not often you see this so cheap - yes love a bargain me!

Not yet sure what to do with the rest of the velboa but I am thinking a plain hoody might be nice - you know, glam up my wardrobe with fake fur, but in a boring every day way that is easy to wear maybe? 

I have not worked out the hem as yet. Might need to hand stitch that to get a good finish. Previous coats have been proven to be faster finished by hand than machine so its probably what I will do. I should also get a neater edge that way I think.

I need to add the button hole at the neck. This style has just the one button as closure and the front completely overlaps, so I am intending to search out an antique button from my collection for it because I have boxes of old buttons from various great aunts including some that are huge 1960s ones. I think that would work on this.

 

No idea why I was pulling such a silly goofey face but you can see my neck here. The neck is still a raw edge and its just stay stitched.  I am going to add a hood because its practical in rainy UK, but this is meant to have a normal collar. I have yet to cut out the hood. I actually do nto yet know which hood pattern I will use but maybe just a basic one froma  sweatshirt that I have already made so I will know how big it will be. I prefer a larger hood.

You can also see the cuffs. The cuffs are not actually meant to turn back and I just did that to show you, but to be honest I quite like how it looks. Probably whether I turn back or not will depend on the weather but its nice to see they look good like that. 

So I have quite a bit to do to finish this, but its going on well, and so far its working out ok, despite my having to completely unpick on of the pockets. I ended up with one pocket flap/piping slightly wider than the other due to doing that but I reckon it will not be seen by anyone but me so I am sticking with it rather than unpicking the pocket that worked and trying to make them identical. Its literally 2mm different so being opposite sides I do not think anyone can actually tell. Close ups on them are on my last post. Anyway thats what I have been doing so far the past week. So far so good with this one and hopefully next week I can show you how it is once its finished. 

I have actually now started to believe in this coat so I really do not want another UFO. I should perhaps return to some of my other half finished coats after this and try to get at least one of them finished.

Have a great week, take care and thanks for visiting my blog,

Bracken

No comments:

Post a Comment