Friday 14 June 2024

Child's flying saucer needlecord dungarees

 

 I bought this needlecord red flying saucer fabric a few years ago.  It came in a few colours and I regret not buying other pieces. I bought just 1m of this so I cannot do a lot with it but it has made a lovely pair of dungarees for a small child. Since the child is not allowed to be photographed for the internet or on social media until they are older, I have not taken photos of the face, but hopefully you can see what the dungarees are like.



Wobbly legs because this child cannot walk as yet.

I used 3 different colours of buttons for these which are sewn random so as the child grows you can see more colours. 

I attempted the button holes on machine and despite unpicking them a few times they were still rubbish so I have over sewn then by hand. 

 
Not the best job ever! 
Next time I make a buttonhole I intened to just do it by hand from the outset and avoid the stress. I know hand sewn button holes are not very RTW or professional but they work well and can look nicer than these do and they are reliable so thats the way I will go from now on. And also when its for a young child you know they do not need to last very long because this will be outgrown within a year.This is the same pattern I used last summer for the fox dungarees  I made. Its just a larger size. I actually added about 10cm to the leg length as well because this child has long legs and I never trusted the pattern. I also added elastic cuffs to these so the child does not keep tripping over the legs, because I have seen a few small children do this with wider legged trousers and in the end its just going to put them off learning to walk if they end up tied up all the time - regardless of what is in fashion!

They seem to work well with the elastic ankles anyway.


I have since cut a couple of thin summer versions of these so once sewn up I can show you them. Its going to take a while though because I am now sewing button holes by hand!

Have a great week and hope the weather is good wherever you are in the world,

Bracken

No comments:

Post a Comment